Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology Vs Electronics

1. Nov 12, 2003 #1
    Biology Vs Electronics !!!

Hi!
    I am not a “Biology” man! But I have an interesting question that I always think of:

We have seen many sci-fi usually Asimov stories that robots are becoming - humans! These homo sapiens as far as I know very complex system specially the brain – nervous system. But my question to the biologist over here: Can it be ever possible that any electronic system can simulate any biological system???

That means from your point of view which biological features are possible to simulate in electronic system and which are not?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2003 #2

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Re: Biology Vs Electronics !!!

I think an electronic system could ..'simulate' a biological system. Even Biology seems to most simply be a number of simple process, each relating to other processes in a way which builds up huge complexity over the many numbers of simple processes.

Of course though, an electronic version will be different to the biological version, but the end product may be essentially the same IMO.

4. Nov 13, 2003 #3

Njorl

Science Advisor

Computer viruses do. Interesting that you said "biological system" rather than life.

They spread by a contagion vector.
    They require a host to reproduce their "genetic" information.

Njorl

5. Nov 13, 2003 #4
    Another.G.
    As you mentioned that there can be made some equavalent system i.e. Output will be the same.....

I think this can be done only for the macro level...but in the micro level that may be not possible...

6. Nov 13, 2003 #5
    Good point.........I can say it a Biological behaviour...... :smile:

Computer generatied simulation games...and others with AI can represent Biological Behaviour......

But in the Micro level....what system exists there???

7. Nov 13, 2003 #6

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

well it depends what you mean.

If you mean "can you get an electronic system to hold physical information in one location, change the form of that information so that it can be moved into another area, and then have the changed form of the information be turned into machinery", then I think 'Absolutely! Electronics would be able to do that just as well as biology' (IMO...can't really be certain).
    But if you mean "Can you get an electronic system to hold the genetic code, have it transcribed into an RNA code, and then have that RNA translated into proteins.' then of course not. Electronics is not biology.

There will just about always be a different version of the same idea. But the closer your try to make the two system, the more they just become the one system.

8. Nov 13, 2003 #7
    Your words are fine :smile:

For the 1st part I agree.....of course this is possible.

Todays genetics sci. are using softwares and special hardwares a lot.

But I am focusing on the 2nd part.

Suppose you have lost you two eyes.....
    And there is no *biological* eyes available.....

Then can there be any electronic eye...that can be used there?
    I mean, it will send those signals those are sent by the previous *flesh* eye ball???

9. Nov 13, 2003 #8

FZ+

Yes certainly. Though not very practical at the moment, scientists are indeed working on such "bionic eyes". Currently the quality is very low, only about 20 pixels, but the basic idea works. We just need to perfect the technology. After all, it is just electrical signals we are talking about.

10. Nov 13, 2003 #9
    Really Then why not other parts.....hands...legs....etc.
    CYBORG???

Then this I can say that a biological system is simulated or transplanted by electronic system.......thus we may simulate a full human body, isn't it???

11. Nov 14, 2003 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

At the present time all these things are at the level of prosthetics, meaning that they give their owners some help where there was none before, but they are far, far, from a true replacement of the lost function. It might be useful to counter the hype with asking, how much better is this technology than a wooden leg?

12. Nov 14, 2003 #11
    Hmm... but if someone wants to start...from where he'll start???
    I mean, from which perspective he have to observe the biological systems???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?