Biology Vs Electronics

  • Thread starter Moni
  • Start date
  • #1
181
1
Biology Vs Electronics !!!

Hi!
I am not a “Biology” man! But I have an interesting question that I always think of:

We have seen many sci-fi usually Asimov stories that robots are becoming - humans! These homo sapiens as far as I know very complex system specially the brain – nervous system. But my question to the biologist over here: Can it be ever possible that any electronic system can simulate any biological system???

That means from your point of view which biological features are possible to simulate in electronic system and which are not?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
976
3


Originally posted by Moni
Hi!
I am not a “Biology” man! But I have an interesting question that I always think of:

We have seen many sci-fi usually Asimov stories that robots are becoming - humans! These homo sapiens as far as I know very complex system specially the brain – nervous system. But my question to the biologist over here: Can it be ever possible that any electronic system can simulate any biological system???

That means from your point of view which biological features are possible to simulate in electronic system and which are not?
I think an electronic system could ..'simulate' a biological system. Even Biology seems to most simply be a number of simple process, each relating to other processes in a way which builds up huge complexity over the many numbers of simple processes.

Of course though, an electronic version will be different to the biological version, but the end product may be essentially the same IMO.
 
  • #3
Njorl
Science Advisor
258
10
Computer viruses do. Interesting that you said "biological system" rather than life.

They spread by a contagion vector.
They require a host to reproduce their "genetic" information.

Njorl
 
  • #4
181
1
Another.G.
As you mentioned that there can be made some equavalent system i.e. Output will be the same.....

I think this can be done only for the macro level...but in the micro level that may be not possible...
 
  • #5
181
1
Originally posted by Njorl
Computer viruses do. Interesting that you said "biological system" rather than life.

They spread by a contagion vector.
They require a host to reproduce their "genetic" information.

Njorl
Good point.........I can say it a Biological behaviour...... :smile:

Computer generatied simulation games...and others with AI can represent Biological Behaviour......

But in the Micro level....what system exists there???
 
  • #6
Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
976
3
well it depends what you mean.

If you mean "can you get an electronic system to hold physical information in one location, change the form of that information so that it can be moved into another area, and then have the changed form of the information be turned into machinery", then I think 'Absolutely! Electronics would be able to do that just as well as biology' (IMO...can't really be certain).
But if you mean "Can you get an electronic system to hold the genetic code, have it transcribed into an RNA code, and then have that RNA translated into proteins.' then of course not. Electronics is not biology.

There will just about always be a different version of the same idea. But the closer your try to make the two system, the more they just become the one system.
 
  • #7
181
1
Your words are fine :smile:

For the 1st part I agree.....of course this is possible.

Todays genetics sci. are using softwares and special hardwares a lot.

But I am focusing on the 2nd part.

Suppose you have lost you two eyes.....
And there is no *biological* eyes available.....

Then can there be any electronic eye...that can be used there?
I mean, it will send those signals those are sent by the previous *flesh* eye ball???
 
  • #8
FZ+
1,561
3
Then can there be any electronic eye...that can be used there?
Yes certainly. Though not very practical at the moment, scientists are indeed working on such "bionic eyes". Currently the quality is very low, only about 20 pixels, but the basic idea works. We just need to perfect the technology. After all, it is just electrical signals we are talking about.
 
  • #9
181
1
Originally posted by FZ+
Yes certainly. Though not very practical at the moment, scientists are indeed working on such "bionic eyes". Currently the quality is very low, only about 20 pixels, but the basic idea works. We just need to perfect the technology. After all, it is just electrical signals we are talking about.
Really Then why not other parts.....hands...legs....etc.
CYBORG???

Then this I can say that a biological system is simulated or transplanted by electronic system.......thus we may simulate a full human body, isn't it???
 
  • #10
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,786
7
At the present time all these things are at the level of prosthetics, meaning that they give their owners some help where there was none before, but they are far, far, from a true replacement of the lost function. It might be useful to counter the hype with asking, how much better is this technology than a wooden leg?
 
  • #11
181
1
Hmm... but if someone wants to start...from where he'll start???
I mean, from which perspective he have to observe the biological systems???
 

Related Threads on Biology Vs Electronics

Replies
3
Views
4K
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
34
Views
53K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
12K
Replies
6
Views
5K
Replies
5
Views
6K
Replies
12
Views
18K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
Top