1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biomechanics Question

1. Feb 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A tendon starts off with an initial length of 10 cm and a cross-sectional area of 0.1 cm^2. A force of 100 N is applied, which stretches the ligament to a new length of 11 cm. What is the Modulus of Elasticity (E) for this ligament (in MPa)?

2. Relevant equations

Stress = Force/Area
    Strain = Change in Length/Original Length
    E = Stress/Strain

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried this and my online homework solution tells me it is wrong. So I'll let you know what I did, and hopefully you guys can tell me if it looks right to you.

Stress = Force/Area = 100N/0.1cm^2 = 1000N/cm^2 (or if you want 10,000,000 N/m^2 same as 10,000,000 Pa)

Strain = Change in Length/Original Length = 1cm/10cm = 0.1

E = Stress/Strain = (10,000,000 Pa)/ 0.1 = 100,000,000 Pa or 100 MPa.

So my answer was 100 MPa. It says this is wrong...any ideas where I might have gone wrong, or is this correct? I am thinking of challenging it with the instructor because if you all think I got the right answer too, it might just be a mistake in the system.

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bug in the system. Your answer is correct.

4. Feb 5, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will have a chat with my instructor today.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?