Solve Biomechanical Question: Modulus of Elasticity (E) in MPa

In summary, the Modulus of Elasticity (E) for this ligament is 100 MPa. There was a bug in the system, but the answer provided is correct.
LSarah6

Homework Statement

A tendon starts off with an initial length of 10 cm and a cross-sectional area of 0.1 cm^2. A force of 100 N is applied, which stretches the ligament to a new length of 11 cm. What is the Modulus of Elasticity (E) for this ligament (in MPa)?

Homework Equations

Stress = Force/Area
Strain = Change in Length/Original Length
E = Stress/Strain

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this and my online homework solution tells me it is wrong. So I'll let you know what I did, and hopefully you guys can tell me if it looks right to you.

Stress = Force/Area = 100N/0.1cm^2 = 1000N/cm^2 (or if you want 10,000,000 N/m^2 same as 10,000,000 Pa)

Strain = Change in Length/Original Length = 1cm/10cm = 0.1

E = Stress/Strain = (10,000,000 Pa)/ 0.1 = 100,000,000 Pa or 100 MPa.

So my answer was 100 MPa. It says this is wrong...any ideas where I might have gone wrong, or is this correct? I am thinking of challenging it with the instructor because if you all think I got the right answer too, it might just be a mistake in the system.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bug in the system. Your answer is correct.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will have a chat with my instructor today.

1. What is modulus of elasticity (E)?

Modulus of elasticity (E) is a measure of a material's stiffness or ability to resist deformation when subjected to an external force. It is also known as Young's modulus and is typically measured in units of megapascals (MPa).

2. How is the modulus of elasticity (E) calculated?

The modulus of elasticity (E) is calculated by dividing the applied stress by the resulting strain. It can also be determined by measuring the slope of the stress-strain curve for a material.

3. What is the significance of knowing the modulus of elasticity (E) for a material?

The modulus of elasticity (E) is an important mechanical property as it provides information on a material's structural integrity and its ability to withstand external forces without permanent deformation. It is also used in the design and engineering of structures to ensure they can withstand expected loads.

4. How does the modulus of elasticity (E) differ for different materials?

The modulus of elasticity (E) varies greatly between different materials. Materials such as steel and concrete have high moduli of elasticity, indicating their stiffness and ability to withstand large forces. In contrast, materials like rubber and plastic have lower moduli of elasticity, making them more flexible and able to withstand smaller forces before deforming.

5. How does temperature affect the modulus of elasticity (E) of a material?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the modulus of elasticity (E) of a material. In general, as temperature increases, the modulus of elasticity decreases. This is due to the increase in thermal energy causing the material's atoms to vibrate more, making it easier for them to move and deform when subjected to an external force. This effect is more pronounced in materials with higher moduli of elasticity.