1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Biomedical Engineering for MEs?

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    How does one go about getting into biomedEng with a degree in mechanical engineering. Just the artificial limb and organ side of things?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2
    usually it's incredibly easy . . . at least for biomechanics. for artificial organs, you would probably specialize imo depending on your research. the ugrad classes (about 3 of them) deal with the heart and vascular system, liver and kidney, and lungs and blood.

limbs might apply to biomechanics, so you should really be a good candidate!

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    Is for getting into a graduate program, or as in getting a job. I was asking more for getting a job.

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4
    real world jobs exist in the field of bioengineering? this would be the first i've heard of it. . .

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5
    Hahaha there are actually a lot of jobs available for it here in New Orleans. But the requirements for all of them say BS in Biomed Eng or relevant degree. I'm just curious if a degree in MechE is "relevant" enough for something like that, along with some personal learning of the field?

7. Dec 15, 2011 #6
    yeah, go for it . . . it can't hurt.

see if a community college offers bio1-2 at night . . .

8. Dec 15, 2011 #7
    Ive already taken bio 1 and 2, and physiology and anatomy class.

9. Dec 15, 2011 #8
    you are definitely qualified then, 100%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook