Biomed Eng: Career Paths, Univ Prep, Applications

In summary, pursuing a career in biomedical engineering involves a strong background in physics and calculus, as well as a passion for creating things. After graduation, there are various career options available, including working with technologies such as MRIs. Despite limited information on the subject, the website www.bls.gov provides valuable insights into the profession. Location may not be a significant factor in this career path. Ultimately, this decision requires careful consideration and research."
joyfulrebellion
I was wondering if anyone has advice on pursuing a career in biomedical engineering: what preparation (in university) does it involve? What career options are open to you after you graduate? I'm interested in its applications (working with MRIs for example) and have always been into creating things (go lego!); however, I've never been all too crazy about physics/calculus, things which I understand are vital to engineering. I have been trying to find more info on the subject but have come up with surprisingly little. Any assistance you could give would be deeply appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
www.bls.gov[/URL] has some valuable info on any profession.

Heres a link to the engineering section. Scroll down and find Biomedical.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, those links definitely help! I live in Canada, but I'm guessing that location doesn't make a big difference. Thanks again though...guess I have a tough decision to make.

1. What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to create innovative solutions for healthcare and medical technology. It involves the application of engineering principles to design, develop, and evaluate medical devices, equipment, and software.

2. What are the career paths available in biomedical engineering?

Some common career paths in biomedical engineering include research and development, manufacturing, regulatory affairs, sales and marketing, and clinical engineering. Biomedical engineers also have opportunities in hospitals, government agencies, and academic institutions.

3. How can I prepare for a career in biomedical engineering?

To prepare for a career in biomedical engineering, it is recommended to have a strong background in math and science, particularly biology, chemistry, and physics. Pursuing a degree in biomedical engineering or a related field is also beneficial. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities can be valuable.

4. What are some universities that offer biomedical engineering programs?

Some top universities for biomedical engineering include Johns Hopkins University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Georgia Institute of Technology, University of California-Berkeley, and Duke University. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the best fit for your interests and goals.

5. What should I include in my biomedical engineering graduate school application?

In addition to meeting the minimum requirements for the program, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant research or work experience, and strong letters of recommendation. It can also be beneficial to have a well-written personal statement that highlights your passion for and commitment to the field of biomedical engineering.