1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Biomedical Engineering + ?

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    Alright, freshman at the University of Minnesota so I have a while to toss this around, but I would eventually like to own my own business someday.

So, that leads me to my question. I am going to get a degree in Biomedical Engineering (the twin cities area is heavily populated with medical companies).

I have 32 credits going into my freshman year, so the majority of my generals are done.
    I have a quite full course load and at the moment I will be able to graduate in 4 years and get a minor if I want.

However, I will most likely not study abroad because of the coursework and lack of interesting locations to study abroad in. I would really like to study abroad though, which is where a second degree comes in. If I work my *** off, I could potentially graduate in 5 years with a second degree in Marketing, Finance, or MIS (I would really be busting my *** though, as it would be an entirely different class load and I would have to take all the beginning classes for Carlson 60+ credits for another major).

Now how beneficial would a second degree be from an engineering stand point?
    Would it be 'better' to get a minor in marketing or something?
    I could also easily get a minor in math, but if I were to get two minors that seems rather redundant and it would most likely be better to just go another year and graduate in 5 years. Most IT students here graduate in 5 years, but they push 4 pretty heavily to get some fresh blood in.

None of the majors that I've seen are easily obtainable with biomedical engineering, none of the classes that I take could count for another degree (other than the required beginning classes that every other IT kid takes).

Getting a biomedical engineering degree, would it be more beneficial to get a minor in a business related field and graduate in 4 years or bust it and get a second major and graduate in 5 years + study abroad the fifth year?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted