Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bionic woman: PF reviews?

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Has anyone been following NBC's Bionic Woman? Do you like it so far? How would you compare to the "Golden Oldies" Bionic Woman or Six Million Dollar Man?

On a related topic: how's she for a "robot" wife?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare it to the old "Bionic Woman" show?

4. Oct 15, 2007 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It wasn't "on" at my spacetime coordinates.

But, I've looked at the IMDB page just now, and it looks likeable.

Will edit OP in light of it.

5. Oct 15, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I haven't watched it. Can I say I really like "Reaper" the comedy remake of "Brimstone"? Usually I hate remakes, but Reaper as a comedy is so different from the original that it really works. I'd say it's better than "Pushing up daisies".

6. Oct 16, 2007 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hadn't realized that the "remade" bionic woman was of the EastEnders "fame." (Nor, that she is British.)

7. Oct 18, 2007 #6

J77

Does she still have a mockney accent and mulch around with a permanent scowl on her face? :biggrin:

8. Oct 18, 2007 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

No making fun of Lindsay Wagner. She was my babe back in the day.

9. Oct 18, 2007 #8

J77

I mean Michelle 'Zoe Slater' Ryan :smile:

10. Oct 18, 2007 #9
    You can watch full episodes on nbc.com. Also check out journeyman and heroes. (both sci-fi, full episodes on-line)

70's writing, IMO, was lame even in the 70's. Writers were under pressure from execs with IQs less than 46, and whom had never read a sci-fi short story or novel in their lives (because they didn't know how to read--they only knew how to talk loudly in restaurants)

I've only watched three episodes and thought the writing was fairly good. Let's hope the execs stay out of the writer's office. Looking at a middle aged Michael Ferrar is like watching his dad (Jose') 30 years ago--uncanny resemblance. I think Michael's a better actor than his dad--or maybe he listens to the director.

As far as the physics goes.... no. You can't put new wine in old wine skins without a mess, and you can't mount pneumatic machinery on a human skeleton without a mess. Also the brain interface stuff is a crock. But I know to suspend my scientific knowledge when watching a sci fi, so that I can enjoy it.

11. Oct 18, 2007 #10

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What about electric servomotors? Hasn't there been a lot of advancement in artificial limbs?

12. Oct 18, 2007 #11
    I should say you can't mount powerful stuff and then use it--it'd break the rest of her skeleton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?