1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bionomial Expansions help

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    Bionomial Expansions help :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A) Three consecutive coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n are in the ratio 6:14:21. Find the value of n.

B) Find the independent term in the [2x + 1 - 1/(2x^2)]^6 (independent term is x^0)

C) In the expansion of (1 + ax)^n the first term is 1, the second term is 24x, and the third term is 252x^2. Find the values of a and n

D) In the expansion of (x + a)^3(x - b)^6, the coefficient of x^7 is -9 and there is no x^8 term. Find a and b.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A) I realized that the coefficients are n C r, n C (r+1), and n C (r+2), and that they are in ratio of 6:14:21. However I am not sure how to find n after this step.

B) I tried substituting a variable y { let y = 2x - 1/(2x^2) } to form (y + 1)^6. I could expand it all out and test each term using the general term of binomial expansion, but that would be very tedious. I am wondering if there is a better solution

C) I simplified C) to (a)(n C 1) = 24 and (a^2)(n C 2) = 252. Now I'm stuck on what to do next

D) I've simplified it to 5b^2 -6ab + a^2 = -3 and -2b^2 +a = 0. I'm not sure how to proceed from this.

Any help is appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Bionomial Expansions help :)

You have formulas for C(n,r) and C(n,r+1), so you can compute and simplify the ratio C(n,r)/C(n,r+1), and set that equal to 6/14. That is one equation for n and r. Do the same for n and (r+1). Be careful to simplify the ratio as much as you can before proceeding!

RGV

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's wait and hope that a Moderator splits this up, before we get too far into helping.

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It is several questions at once (please don't do that), but maybe we can handle them at once since the OP did post work on each?

6. Feb 5, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okee-Dokee.

7. Feb 5, 2012 #6

berkeman

Sorry Sammy. You are a huge helper. Should this be split up?

8. Feb 5, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

nCr is given by:

[itex]\displaystyle _{n}C_{r}=\frac{n!}{r\,!\,(n-r)!}[/itex]

So, for instance: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{_{n}C_{r-1}}{_{n}C_{r}}=\frac{\displaystyle \frac{n!}{(r-1)!\,(n-r+1)!}}{\displaystyle \frac{n!}{r\,!\,(n-r)!}}=\frac{r\,!\,(n-r)!}{(r-1)!\,(n-r+1)!}=\frac{r}{n-r+1}=\frac{6}{14}[/itex]

Similarly: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{_{n}C_{r}}{_{n}C_{r+1}}=\frac{14}{21}[/itex]

It's pretty easy to solve these for n and r.

9. Feb 5, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, It'll be OK.

10. Feb 5, 2012 #9

berkeman

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook