Biophysics Diffusion Problem

In summary, the problem involves N particles diffusing in one dimension in a potential U(x)=ax2, with a > 0. The particles have a diffusion constant D. The task is to find the steady-state concentration, C0 (x). This can be solved using the diffusion equation and Fick's law, with the addition of an external force from the gradient of the given potential. Ultimately, the Nernst-Planck equation is used to find the equilibrium condition where d/dt c(t) = 0.
klam997

Homework Statement

N particles diffuse in one dimension in the potential U(x)=ax2, with a > 0. For example, such a potential could be provided by a line-shaped optical tweezer trap. The particles have the diffusion constant D.

Find the steady-state concentration, C0 (x).

Homework Equations

diffusion equation: dc/dt= D d^2(c)/d(x^2)

Fick's law: j = -D dc/dx

Diffusion concentration in 3 dimensions: c(r,t) = N/ [(4*pi*D*t)^3/2] * e^(-r^2/(4Dt)

Nernst-Planck formula and Nernst relation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure if I needed to use the Nernst-Planck formula or the Nernst relation. I know the flux of the system is zero because the particles are trapped within the potential. Therefore, j=0, dc/dx must be zero. At a steady state, I know that dc/dt is zero. I'm not really sure how I can approach this problem maybe except for adding boundaries conditions at the potential. Any thought or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diffusion equation and the diffusion concentration in 3D you gave are for the case of zero potential. Look in your notes where those formulae are derived from Newton's law and add an external force (which is the gradient of the potential you are given). Then you should arrive at the correct formulae, and yes, d/dt c(t) = 0 is exactly the equilibrium condition you need then.

I realized it is derived into the Nernst-Planck equation. Thank you very much!

1. What is biophysics diffusion problem?

Biophysics diffusion problem is a phenomenon in which particles (such as molecules or ions) move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This process is driven by the random motion of particles and is important in many biological processes such as cell signaling and nutrient transport.

2. How is biophysics diffusion problem studied?

Biophysics diffusion problem is typically studied using mathematical models and experimental techniques such as fluorescence microscopy and electrophysiology. These methods allow scientists to observe and measure the movement of particles and analyze the underlying mechanisms of diffusion.

3. What factors affect biophysics diffusion problem?

There are several factors that can affect biophysics diffusion problem, including temperature, concentration gradient, molecular size, and the presence of obstacles or barriers. These factors can influence the rate and direction of diffusion and can be manipulated in experiments to study their effects.

4. How does biophysics diffusion problem relate to cell membrane function?

The cell membrane is a selectively permeable barrier that controls the movement of particles in and out of the cell. Biophysics diffusion problem plays a crucial role in this process as it allows for the transport of essential molecules and ions across the membrane. Diffusion also helps to maintain a balance of substances within the cell, which is important for its proper functioning.

5. What are the potential applications of studying biophysics diffusion problem?

Studying biophysics diffusion problem has many potential applications in fields such as medicine, biotechnology, and environmental science. Understanding how particles move and interact in biological systems can help in the development of new drugs, improving drug delivery methods, and designing more efficient biomaterials. It can also aid in the understanding and management of environmental processes such as water and air pollution.