1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biophysics equation

1. Jan 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a simple, physical model of a cell in which the cell is regarded as a spherical bag with radius r, bounded by a membrane permeable to alcohol with permeability, P=20μms-1. Show the concentration of alcohol in the cell is governed by this equation.

2. Relevant equations
    -d(Δc)/dt = (3P/r)Δc

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know what to do with this, I don't really know where to start. The second bit of the question asks to solve the equation which I guess you can do by bringing dt over to the other side and dividing by Δc and integrating both sides, but I have no idea how to get the equation really.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Have you learned any equations to find the flux of molecules across a membrane? Or, have you learned Fick's laws of diffusion? Either one could serve as a starting point for the derivation. (If not, here's a website with some explanations)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted