1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot-Savart and a Square Loop

1. Jul 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A conductor in the shape of a square of edge length 0.28 m carries a current I = 17.0A. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the square. Round your answer to three significant figures. Take the permeability of free space to be 4*pi*10^-7.

2. Relevant equations

L = length of one side of the square = 0.28 m
    I = current = 17 A
    Sin(theta2) = 45 degrees = sqrt(2)/2
    Sin(theta1) = -45 degrees = -sqrt(2)/2

B = 4{[(mu*I)/(4*pi*L)] * (sin(theta2) - sin(theta1))}

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I've got it, but the website won't take my answer. Sorry for the lack of LaTex.

Values for theta were obtained by forming two 45-45-90 triangles; those values are the distance from any side to the center.

Plugging everything in, I get 4{[(4piE-7*17) / (4*pi*0.28)] * sqrt(2)} = 34.3 * 10^-6 T. However, this is incorrect. Have I made a calculation error? A concept error? This will be my 23rd try putting something into the website and I am tired of it.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi 012983! :smile:

i can't work out what formula you're using for the Biot-Savart law :confused:

the angle should be the angle between the field and the plane of the loop (90°)

and shouldn't there be an r2 somewhere?

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biot-Savart_law" [Broken]​

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jul 28, 2011 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook