Biot-Savart applied to rectangular coil

In summary, to calculate the magnetic field at the center of a rectangular current-carrying coil, use the law of Biot-Savart and break down the perimeter of the rectangle into smaller segments. Then, add the magnetic fields of each segment together to get the total magnetic field at the center.
tsrgb

Homework Statement

A rectangular current-carrying coil, with side lengths a and b has N turns. The current, I is stable.
The coil is shorter than its width. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at the centre of the rectangle.

Homework Equations

The law of Biot-Savart (I think).

The Attempt at a Solution

Stupid (I know) - but I am unsure of what to do with the element of Biot-Savart, which concerns the radius.
Perhaps I could divide the rectangle into 4 segments - calculate each segment:
Bsegment = (mu o/4p )(I/R)(cosa +cosb )
and then add them up?

Please, please help me as it is part of a larger assignment involving the effect of a magnetic field on a current-carrying coil.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    660 bytes · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org

To calculate the magnetic field at the center of the rectangular coil, you can indeed use the law of Biot-Savart. This law states that the magnetic field at a point due to a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point. In your case, the wire is the perimeter of the rectangle and the point is the center of the rectangle.

To use this law, you will need to break down the perimeter of the rectangle into smaller segments, as you mentioned. Each segment will have a length of either a or b, depending on which side it is on. The angle between the segment and the center of the rectangle will also vary, so you will need to take that into account.

Once you have calculated the magnetic field for each segment, you can add them together to get the total magnetic field at the center of the rectangle. Keep in mind that the direction of the magnetic field will depend on the direction of the current in the coil.

I hope this helps you with your assignment. Good luck with your calculations! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady electric current. It states that the magnetic field at a point due to a small section of a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current, the length of the wire segment, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the line joining the point to the wire.

2. How is Biot-Savart law applied to rectangular coils?

In the case of a rectangular coil, the Biot-Savart law can be used to calculate the magnetic field at a point due to the current flowing in each side of the coil. The total magnetic field at the point is then the vector sum of the contributions from each side of the coil.

3. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field of a rectangular coil using Biot-Savart law?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field at a point due to a rectangular coil is B = μ0I/4π * √(x^2 + y^2)/((x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2) where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the coil, a and b are the dimensions of the coil, and x and y are the coordinates of the point in question.

4. What are the assumptions made when applying Biot-Savart law to rectangular coils?

When applying Biot-Savart law to rectangular coils, it is assumed that the coil is infinitely thin, the current is evenly distributed throughout the coil, and the dimensions of the coil are much smaller than the distance from the point of interest. These assumptions allow for a simplified calculation of the magnetic field.

5. How is Biot-Savart law used in practical applications?

Biot-Savart law is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures. Additionally, Biot-Savart law is used in the study of Earth's magnetic field and in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.