Non-differential Form of Biot-Savart Law: Comparison and Confusion Clarified

In summary: In the first case, they are measured from the center of the conductor to the point where the current flows, and in the second case, they are measured from the current point to the center of the conductor.
Chemist@
What is the non-differential form of the Biot-Savart law? Is it:
B=mi*I/(4R*pi)*(cos(a)-cos(b)) or B=mi*I/(4R*pi)*(cos(a)+cos(b))?

For a infinitely long conductor, the law is:
B=mi*I/(2R*pi) because a=0 and b=pi. So I would say that the correct expression is the one where the cos are subtracted, but I was solving a problem where a point is in the center of a square-like conductor and they used the formula with the addition of cos to get the magnetic field at that point, as with the subtraction the answer would be zero. What equation is the correct one, I am really confused?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Biot-Savart law is an integral along the current flow, therefore the integral will depend on the geometry of your current flow. Also, what are "a" and "b"?

Laplace?

As mfb mentioned, Biot-Savart Law is dependent on the geometry of the current carriers. The cosines might stem from the fact that there is a cross product in numerator of the Biot-Savart Law. The cross product, between the length of the conductor and the unit vector from the current to the field, or:

$$ \vec{ds} \times \hat{r} $$

Can also be expressed as:

$$ |\vec{ds}| |\hat{r}| cos \theta $$

This could be the reason you were dealing with cosines.

To get a better understanding of the Biot-Savart formula and any other formula in Electricity & Magnitude I'd suggest using:

http://theeqns.com/introduction-to-electricity--magnetism-with-calculus.html

Last edited:
Chemist@ said:
So I would say that the correct expression is the one where the cos are subtracted, but I was solving a problem where a point is in the center of a square-like conductor and they used the formula with the addition of cos to get the magnetic field at that point

Are the angles defined the same way in both cases?

The non-differential form of the Biot-Savart law is a mathematical expression that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current in a conductor. It is given by B=mi*I/(4R*pi)*(cos(a)-cos(b)), where mi is the permeability of the medium, I is the current, R is the distance from the current to the point of interest, a is the angle between the current and the distance vector, and b is the angle between the current and the normal vector to the plane containing the current and the point of interest.

In the case of an infinitely long conductor, the non-differential form simplifies to B=mi*I/(2R*pi), as a=0 and b=pi. This means that the magnetic field at any point along the conductor is the same, and is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the conductor.

In your specific case, where the point of interest is in the center of a square-like conductor, the correct expression to use is the one with the addition of cos, B=mi*I/(4R*pi)*(cos(a)+cos(b)). This is because in this scenario, the angles a and b are not equal to 0 and pi, and thus both terms must be taken into account in order to accurately calculate the magnetic field at the point.

It is important to note that the Biot-Savart law is a vector equation, meaning that the direction of the magnetic field must also be taken into account. In the case of a square-like conductor, the magnetic field will have different components in the x and y directions, and the correct expression must be used to accurately calculate both components.

In summary, the correct non-differential form of the Biot-Savart law to use depends on the specific scenario and the values of the variables involved. It is important to carefully consider all relevant factors and choose the appropriate expression for accurate calculations.

What is the Non-differential Form of Biot-Savart Law?

The non-differential form of Biot-Savart law is a mathematical expression that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current. It is an alternative form of the differential form of Biot-Savart law, which is used to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point in space.

How does the Non-differential Form of Biot-Savart Law differ from the Differential Form?

The main difference between the non-differential and differential forms of Biot-Savart law is the way in which they are used to calculate the magnetic field. The non-differential form is used to calculate the total magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire or system, while the differential form is used to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point in space.

Why is there confusion between the Non-differential and Differential Forms of Biot-Savart Law?

There is often confusion between the two forms of Biot-Savart law because they are both used to calculate the magnetic field, but in different ways. Additionally, the equations for each form may look similar, leading to further confusion.

How do I know which form of Biot-Savart Law to use?

The form of Biot-Savart law that you should use depends on what information you are trying to calculate. If you need to find the total magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire or system, you should use the non-differential form. If you need to find the magnetic field at a specific point in space, you should use the differential form.

Is one form of Biot-Savart Law more accurate than the other?

Both the non-differential and differential forms of Biot-Savart law are equally accurate in their respective applications. However, the differential form may be more useful in certain situations where the magnetic field needs to be calculated at a specific point, while the non-differential form may be more useful for calculating the overall magnetic field of a system.