What is the B-field at the center of a semicircle using the Biot-Savart Law?

In summary: You can put the wire and the point at the same place, if you want.In summary, the Biot-Savart law is used to find the magnetic field strength at a point P by integrating over all the infinitesimal wire segments in the circuit. The position of the wire and the point do not matter, as all vectors are relative. The curved and straight bits of wire can be integrated separately.
pinkfishegg

Homework Statement

Use the Biot-Savart Law to find the magnetic field strength at the center of the semicircle in fig 35.53

Homework Equations

Bcurrent=(μ/4π)*(IΔsXr^)/r2
Bwire=μI/2πd

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution from the back of the book is
B=μI/4πd

It looks like they just added the two wires together and the the B-field of the loop in the middle is zero. I don't understand what the cross product would give you zero though. The example that derived the B-field of a wire put a point on the y-axis and used that to find R and determine the cross-product. Why would that lead to a cross product of zero for the arc?

Attachments

• Fig 33.53.png
    Fig 33.53.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 699
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to integrate over all the infinitesimal wire segments. Where is your integral attempt?

The arc does not produce a zero magnetic field.

I'm confused on how to set up the integral because I don't know where to set P, and therefore how to know what R should be. In the example where they derived the B-Field of the wire, the Set P on the Y axis. I'm not sure how to figure that out.

The Biot Savart law says the mag field at a point P is

$$ \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int_C \frac{I d\mathbf l\times\mathbf{\hat{r'}}}{|\mathbf{r'}|^2}$$

where ##d\mathbf{l}## is a vector pointing in the direction of conventional current, along the incremental bit of wire, ##\mathbf{r'}## is the vector from that bit of wire to P, and ##C## is the wire, which should be a circuit but once you start the integration you'll see that it doesn't matter that what they've drawn isn't a circuit.

Do the integrations separately for the straight and the curved bits of wire.

It doesn't matter where in the number plane you put the wire and the point. What matters is their position relative to one another. All vectors in the calculation are relative.

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law over arc?

The Biot-Savart Law over arc is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady current flowing along a curved path or arc. It is named after French physicists Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart, who first formulated the law in the early 19th century.

2. How is the Biot-Savart Law over arc different from the original Biot-Savart Law?

The original Biot-Savart Law only applies to straight current-carrying wires, while the Biot-Savart Law over arc takes into account the effect of a curved path or arc on the magnetic field. This is important in situations where the current-carrying wire is not straight, such as in a circular loop or a solenoid.

3. What is the mathematical formula for the Biot-Savart Law over arc?

The mathematical formula for the Biot-Savart Law over arc is B = (μ0/4π) * (I * dL * sinθ / r^2), where B is the magnetic field at a point, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dL is the differential length of the arc, θ is the angle between the direction of the current and the line connecting the point of interest to the arc, and r is the distance between the point and the arc.

4. What are the applications of the Biot-Savart Law over arc?

The Biot-Savart Law over arc has many applications in the field of electromagnetism. It is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a circular loop, a solenoid, or any other curved current-carrying path. It is also used in the design and analysis of devices such as electric motors, generators, and magnetic sensors.

5. Can the Biot-Savart Law over arc be applied to non-circular arcs?

Yes, the Biot-Savart Law over arc can be applied to any type of curved current-carrying path, not just circular arcs. As long as the shape of the arc is known, the law can be used to determine the magnetic field at any point in space. This makes it a versatile tool in the study of electromagnetism and its applications.