How Does Biot-Savart Law Calculate Magnetic Field at Point P?

In summary, the figure shows two long straight wires carrying a current of 3.19 A each, with distances of 6.00 m and 4.00 m. Using Biot-Savart's Law, the net magnetic field at point P, located on the perpendicular bisector of the wires, can be calculated to be 1.7695e-07. The direction of the magnetic field for each current is upwards, but the two fields at P are not in the same direction.
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

The figure shows two very long straight wires (in cross section) that each carry a current of 3.19 A directly out of the page. Distance d1 = 6.00 m and distance d2 = 4.00 m. What is the magnitude of the net magnetic field at point P, which lies on a perpendicular bisector to the wires?
HW9Q7.png

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]{ B }_{ long,\quad straight\quad wire }\quad =\quad \frac { { \mu }_{ 0 }I }{ 2\pi r } \\ r\quad =\quad \sqrt { { (\frac { { d }_{ 1 } }{ 2 } ) }^{ 2 }\quad +\quad { { d }_{ 2 } }^{ 2 } } \\ { B }_{ total }\quad =\quad 2B\quad =\quad \frac { { \mu }_{ 0 }I }{ \pi r } \\ { B }_{ total }\quad =\quad 1.7695e-07[/itex]

I'm aware that I'm missing a sin(theta) in my multiplication, but why would I need to only specify a vertical component? The magnitude isn't only the vertical component.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the direction of B for each current?

TSny said:
What is the direction of B for each current?
Both act upwards on the point

The two fields at P are not in the same direction.

TSny said:
The two fields at P are not in the same direction.
Is this what you're visualizing:
Upper field points in the positive x and y direction
Lower field points in the negative x but positive y direction
?

Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.
Alright that makes sense now to put the y component in. I was visualizing both fields pointing up at the same time, but that's not possible at all with the orientation of the field.

OK.

What is the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current in a wire. It states that the magnetic field at a certain point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point.

What is the significance of the Biot Savart Law in physics?

The Biot Savart Law is significant because it provides a mathematical relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. This allows scientists to predict and calculate the strength and direction of magnetic fields produced by electric currents, which has numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering and medicine.

What are the limitations of the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law is only valid for steady currents and does not account for time-varying currents. It also assumes that the current is confined to a thin wire, and does not take into account the effects of the shape or thickness of the wire. In addition, it only applies to magnetostatic situations and does not account for the effects of moving charges or changing electric fields.

How is the Biot Savart Law applied in real-world problems?

The Biot Savart Law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by various configurations of electric currents, such as straight wires, loops, and solenoids. It is also used in the design of devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. In medical imaging, the Biot Savart Law is used to interpret the magnetic fields produced by the brain and other body parts in techniques like magnetoencephalography (MEG).

What are some common misconceptions about the Biot Savart Law?

One common misconception is that the Biot Savart Law only applies to straight wires, when in fact it can be applied to any configuration of current-carrying wires. Another misconception is that the Biot Savart Law can be used to calculate the force between two parallel current-carrying wires, when in reality it only describes the magnetic field produced by the wires. Additionally, some may mistakenly believe that the Biot Savart Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a moving charge, when it is only applicable to steady currents.