1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot Savart Law Problem

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows two very long straight wires (in cross section) that each carry a current of 3.19 A directly out of the page. Distance d1 = 6.00 m and distance d2 = 4.00 m. What is the magnitude of the net magnetic field at point P, which lies on a perpendicular bisector to the wires?
    HW9Q7.png

2. Relevant equations
    Biot-Savart's Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]{ B }_{ long,\quad straight\quad wire }\quad =\quad \frac { { \mu }_{ 0 }I }{ 2\pi r } \\ r\quad =\quad \sqrt { { (\frac { { d }_{ 1 } }{ 2 } ) }^{ 2 }\quad +\quad { { d }_{ 2 } }^{ 2 } } \\ { B }_{ total }\quad =\quad 2B\quad =\quad \frac { { \mu }_{ 0 }I }{ \pi r } \\ { B }_{ total }\quad =\quad 1.7695e-07[/itex]

I'm aware that I'm missing a sin(theta) in my multiplication, but why would I need to only specify a vertical component? The magnitude isn't only the vertical component.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the direction of B for each current?

4. Apr 29, 2016 #3
    Both act upwards on the point

5. Apr 29, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The two fields at P are not in the same direction.

6. Apr 29, 2016 #5
    Is this what you're visualizing:
    Upper field points in the positive x and y direction
    Lower field points in the negative x but positive y direction
    ?

7. Apr 29, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

8. Apr 29, 2016 #7
    Alright that makes sense now to put the y component in. I was visualizing both fields pointing up at the same time, but that's not possible at all with the orientation of the field.

9. Apr 29, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted