Calculating Velocity in a Trailing Vortex

In summary, the velocity at a distance of 4 ft laterally from the wingtip and 1 span behind the wing is calculated using V = G/4*pi*r, where G is 2647.33 ft^2/s and r is 4 ft. This results in a velocity of ~52 ft/s. This may seem high, but it is the induced downwash velocity and is affected by the constant lift assumption along the span. In the case of an elliptical circulation distribution, there is no trailing vortex at the wingtip, but there may be one at some distance behind the wing.
physicsCU
OK, I am calculating the velocity in a trailing vortex 4 ft laterally from the wingtip at a distance of 1 span behind the wing.
I figured out that V = G/4*pi*r
so in my situation, r = 4 ft, G = 2647.33 ft^2/s (this was found earlier in the problem).

I get a V of ~52 ft/s. What is this? the induced downwash velocity? it seems to be high, my V_0 is 337 ft/s.

I am just trying to get a check on my reasoning here, because this seems to be too high to me. I should mention that lift is assumed to be constant along the span.

But in the case of elliptical circulation distribution, how is there any trailing vortex at the wingtip? since G is 0 there, there is no velocity, and thus no vortex.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, in the case of an elliptical circulation distribution, there is no trailing vortex at the wingtip. However, there may be a trailing vortex at some distance behind the wing. The velocity at this point will be determined by G/4*pi*r, where G is the total circulation, r is the radial distance from the center of circulation, and 4*pi is a conversion factor.

Your calculation for velocity in the trailing vortex is correct. The value of V you have calculated is the induced downwash velocity, which is the velocity induced by the wing's lift and circulation. This downwash velocity is typically high near the wingtip and decreases as you move away from the wingtip.

Your V_0 of 337 ft/s is the freestream velocity, which is the velocity of the air approaching the wing before it encounters the wing's lift. This is a different velocity than the induced downwash velocity.

In the case of an elliptical circulation distribution, there is still a trailing vortex at the wingtip. This is because even though the circulation value (G) is 0 at the wingtip, there is still a change in circulation along the span of the wing. This change in circulation creates a trailing vortex at the wingtip.

Overall, your reasoning and calculations seem to be correct. It is normal for the induced downwash velocity to be high near the wingtip and decrease as you move away from the wingtip. And even with an elliptical circulation distribution, there will still be a trailing vortex at the wingtip.

What is a trailing vortex?

A trailing vortex is a turbulent flow that occurs behind an object, such as an aircraft wing, as it moves through a fluid. It is created by the difference in pressure above and below the object and can have a significant impact on the object's aerodynamics.

How do you calculate the velocity in a trailing vortex?

The velocity in a trailing vortex can be calculated using the vorticity equation, which takes into account the circulation and distance from the center of the vortex. This equation is often solved using numerical methods such as computational fluid dynamics.

Why is calculating velocity in a trailing vortex important?

Understanding the velocity in a trailing vortex is important for designing and optimizing aircraft and other objects that move through fluids. It can also help predict the impact of trailing vortices on nearby objects, such as other aircraft flying in close proximity.

What factors affect the velocity in a trailing vortex?

The velocity in a trailing vortex is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object creating the vortex, the speed and direction of the object's movement, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through.

Can the velocity in a trailing vortex be controlled?

There are various methods that can be used to control the velocity in a trailing vortex, such as using vortex generators or winglets on aircraft. However, complete control is difficult to achieve and the impact of these methods may vary depending on the specific conditions and design of the object.