1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot-Savart Law

1. Dec 28, 2006 #1
    i personally think that this is just a very simple problem since the problem only requires plugging the right values into the formula. i'm just having trouble with one minor detail.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the current element Idx(ax+ay) A situated at P(1,-2,2), find the magnetic flux densities at P(2,-1,3).

2. Relevant equations

Biot-Savart

dB = (K)(IdI x r)/rr

3. The attempt at a solution

my only problem in here is that i'm having a hard time figuring out what idx is? do i just substitute it for Idl then just get its cross product with r and so on? also, do i need to actually integrate it to get B?

that is all and thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2006 #2
    What is Idx(ax+ay) ?
    What kind of current element do we have here ? Wire, infinite wire, semi infinite wire ?

marlon

4. Dec 29, 2006 #3
    hmmm...never thought of that question, marlon...

i suppose that it is an infinite wire? or can't it just be just a point with such property? will it actually make a difference?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?