Understanding the Invariance of dl in Biot-Savart Law

In summary, the Biot-Savart law is expressed as B = (µo/4π) ∫ (I dl x r^)/r2 and dl does not depend on the coordinate system because it is a vector. The use of primed and unprimed coordinates is common in proofs of integral theorems, and the reason for del X dl' = 0 is because the operator del only differentiates with respect to the unprimed coordinates. This is shown in the derivation of the Biot-Savart law in the attached file.
erece
In the expression of Biot-Savart law
B = (µo/4π) ∫ (I dl x r^)/r2
why dl does not depend on the coordinate systems ?
in books they are using del X dl = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
It's natural [itex]d\ell[/itex] doesn't depend on the coordinate system; it's a vector.

Still, [itex]\nabla \times d\ell[/itex] doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Could you give some more context for this question?

i am attaching a file in which the derivation of biot-savart law is given. Now after equation 6-29 they used del X dl' = 0. i want to know the reason

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 728
It says the reason right in the screenshot:

Now, since the unprimed and primed coordinates are independent, [itex]\nabla \times d\ell' = 0[/itex]

Here, [itex]d\ell[/itex] and [itex]d\ell'[/itex] are two different things. The first depends on "unprimed" coordinates (i.e. [itex]x, y, z[/itex]) and the second depends on "primed" coordinates [itex]x', y', z'[/itex]). The operator [itex]\nabla[/itex] differentiates only with respect to the unprimed coordinates. Hence, [itex]\nabla \times d\ell'[/itex] is zero because [itex]x', y', z'[/itex] are not functions of [itex]x,y, z[/itex]; they can't be differentiated with respect to the unprimed coordinates.

This use of primed and unprimed variables is pretty common in proofs of integral theorems, particularly when you have a function on the left that is, say, [itex]X(r)[/itex], generally the variable of integration on the right is [itex]r'[/itex]. For example,

[tex]E(r) = \int \frac{\rho(r')/\epsilon_0}{4\pi |r - r'|^2} \; dV'[/tex]

Here, [itex]r'[/itex] is the dummy variable of integration, and [itex]dV'[/itex] is the associated volume element for that variable.

now i got it. thanks a lot

What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current in a wire. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point.

How does the Biot-Savart Law relate to dl invariance?

The dl invariance in the Biot-Savart Law refers to the fact that the magnitude of the magnetic field produced by a current in a wire is independent of the shape and orientation of the wire, as long as the current and other parameters remain constant. This means that the Biot-Savart Law is valid for any arbitrary shape of the wire, as long as the current is the same.

Why is understanding dl invariance important in the Biot-Savart Law?

Understanding dl invariance is important because it allows us to use the Biot-Savart Law to calculate the magnetic field produced by any arbitrary shaped current-carrying wire, without having to integrate over the entire length of the wire. This makes calculations much simpler and more efficient.

What is the mathematical expression for dl in the Biot-Savart Law?

The mathematical expression for dl in the Biot-Savart Law is dl x r / |r|^3, where dl is the infinitesimal length of the wire, r is the position vector from the wire element to the point where the magnetic field is being calculated, and |r| is the distance between the wire element and the point.

How is the Biot-Savart Law used in practical applications?

The Biot-Savart Law has many practical applications in electromagnetism, such as in the design of electrical motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the study of magnetic fields in materials, as well as in the field of medical imaging and diagnostics.