1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot Savart Law

1. Jul 25, 2017 #1
    Hi,
    I've got a question regarding application of the Biot-savart law along finite wire.
    There is a great explenation of this problem in the MIT paper but this does not cover one case.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My question is: does the equation defining magnetic field in point P(x,y) also applies to the point P_1(x,y) (as in the picture below) which is not in boundaries of the wire?
    inFOYwS.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Magnetic field in point P(x,y) (as in the above figure) along finite wire is:
    BT5SBz7.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess is: yes, just because I can put P_1 coordinates in the equation, but intuition tells me that I am omitting something and unfortunately I don't know what.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but you have to be careful with how you apply Biot-Savart, specifically what is x. You are omitting x1 from the picture.

4. Jul 25, 2017 #3
    In that case I would define x as
    x=L/2 + x_1

5. Jul 25, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted