Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot savart using matlab

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    I want to calculate the magnetic field from a given image using biot savarts law. For example if I have a picture of a triangle, I say that this triangle forms a closed wire carrying current. Using image derivatives I can get the co-ordinates and direction of the current (normals included). I am struggling implementing this...need a bit of help with logic too. Here is what I have:

--------------------------------------------------------

Img = imread('littletriangle.bmp');
    Img = Img(:,:,1);
    Img = double(Img);
    [x,y] = size(Img);
    [Ix, Iy] = gradient(Img);
    biot savart equation is:
    --------------------------------------------------------

b = mu/4*pi sum(Idl x rn / r^2)

where mu/4pi is const, I is current magnitude, rn distance unit vector between a pixel and current, r^2 is the squared magnitude of the displacement between a pixel and the current.

So just to start off, I read the image in, turn it into a binary and then take the image gradient. This gives me the location and orientation of the 'current'. I now need to calculate the magnetic field from this 'current' at every pixel in the image. I am only interested in getting the magnetic field in the x-y plane. anything just to start me off would be brilliant!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted