1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot Savart

1. May 5, 2005 #1
    Just a quick question about finding the magnetic induction field B on the axis of a circular coil shown on page 7 on http://www.physics.gla.ac.uk/~dland/ELMAG305/Elmag305txt5.pdf
    I understand why the field must be along the x-axis but why does (dlxr )x become dlrsin(alpha)? alpha doesnt seem to be the angle between the dl and r, dlxr would equal |dl|| r |sin(x) where x would be the angle between the dl and r. My problem is x and alpha dont seem to be the same angle so i dont know how to advance with this problem. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't denote the angle with "x",one of the axis with "Ox" and the sign for a vector/cross product with "x"...Let the angle be "alpha",the axis "Ox" and the sign [tex] \times [/tex].

Daniel.

4. May 5, 2005 #3
    I dont see why alpha wouldnt be that angle. What angle are you suggesting?

A is the radius of the circle, and r is the line drawn from the center of the loop at a distance x_i away. You are integrating I along every dl, during which the radius A rides along its resident circle once.

5. May 5, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh,and it should be Biot-Savart-Laplace law...Laplace was the mathematician who made the formula up,while the other guys fooled around with magnets.

The same story with Stefan-Boltzmann law...Boltzmann was the theorist,and Stefan the experimentalist.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?