Solve Biot-Savart's Law Homework: Magnetic Field Intensity in P

• Thread starter Baydith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the problem involves using Biot-Savart's law to calculate the magnetic field intensity at point P and determining how to arrange the supply wires so that they do not influence the field at P. The student has provided a diagram and has correctly identified that one segment does not contribute to the magnetic field at P. However, they are unsure of how to arrange the supply wires to achieve this.
Baydith

Homework Statement

Calculate magnetic field intensity in point P using Biot-Savart's law. How should the supplying wires be arranged so that they would not influence field in P point? a=0.2m,i=10A

Homework Equations

Biot Savart's law

img884.png

The Attempt at a Solution

In the attachment.

The tutor graded my work for only 3 (that is C), whereas I don't quite understand why. Could anyone tell me what was wrong with my solution?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pic_biot_savart.jpg
    pic_biot_savart.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 382
  • biot_savart.pdf
    497.9 KB · Views: 235
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't segment 2 supposed to be a circular arc? Do you have a scan of the original diagram?

The scan is in the attachment, it is linear, therefore from the equation, this segment does not contribute to the magnetic field. However, I'm wondering how to place all the wires that they would not contribute to the magnetic field...

Baydith said:
The scan is in the attachment, it is linear, therefore from the equation, this segment does not contribute to the magnetic field. However, I'm wondering how to place all the wires that they would not contribute to the magnetic field...
From your work, you seem to have more information than was shown on the problem statement. Where did that all come from?

I didn't check your work closely, but I didn't see any obvious errors. Have you asked your tutor for clarification?

As far as the arrangement of the supply wires goes, think about the fact you have one segment that doesn't contribute to the magnetic field at P. Why doesn't it? How can you apply that concept to the supply wires?

I would like to provide some feedback on your solution to the Biot-Savart's law homework problem.

Firstly, your solution lacks clear organization and structure. It is important to clearly state the given information and the steps you took to solve the problem. This will make it easier for the reader (in this case, the tutor) to follow your thought process and understand your solution.

Secondly, your solution is incomplete. You have correctly stated the formula for Biot-Savart's law and have substituted the given values, but you have not shown the steps you took to calculate the magnetic field intensity at point P. It is important to show your work and calculations in order to receive full credit for the problem.

Additionally, you have not addressed the second part of the problem, which asks about the arrangement of the supplying wires. It is important to answer all parts of the problem in order to fully demonstrate your understanding of the concept.

In summary, to improve your solution, I would suggest reorganizing and clearly stating the given information and the steps you took to solve the problem. Additionally, make sure to show all calculations and address all parts of the problem. This will help the reader (and the tutor) to better understand your solution and give you a higher grade.

What is Biot-Savart's Law?

Biot-Savart's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between an electric current and the magnetic field it creates. It states that the magnetic field intensity at a point in space is directly proportional to the current flowing through a conductor and inversely proportional to the distance from the point to the conductor.

How do I calculate the magnetic field intensity using Biot-Savart's Law?

To calculate the magnetic field intensity at a point in space using Biot-Savart's Law, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of the current, the distance from the point to the conductor, and the orientation of the conductor relative to the point. Once you have these values, you can use the formula B = (μ0/4π) * (I * dl x r)/r^3, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dl is a small segment of the conductor, and r is the distance from the point to the segment of the conductor.

What are the units of magnetic field intensity?

The units of magnetic field intensity are tesla (T) or gauss (G). Tesla is the SI unit, while gauss is a cgs unit. 1 T = 10,000 G.

Can Biot-Savart's Law be applied to all types of conductors?

Yes, Biot-Savart's Law can be applied to all types of conductors, as long as the current is flowing through them. This includes straight wires, loops, coils, and more complex shapes.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when using Biot-Savart's Law?

There are a few limitations and assumptions when using Biot-Savart's Law. It assumes that the current is steady and that the conductor is infinitely long and thin. It also assumes that the magnetic field is uniform and that the distance between the point and the conductor is much larger than the size of the conductor. Additionally, Biot-Savart's Law does not take into account any effects from other nearby conductors or external magnetic fields.