1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biotechnology Engineering Questions from a future student

1. Jan 6, 2014 #1
    So just lemme know if this is entirely the wrong place to put this and I guess I'll delete it.

I'm about to go into college, and I've been having a bit of trouble really deciding on which degree best suits what I want to pursue in the future.

My dream is to study and bridge the gap between life and machine, to cross the uncanny valley so to speak. Granted, I know that there's a ton of taboo about it and I don't want to go so far as androids, but the idea of synthetically creating prostheses and organs and even robots that operate similarly and with the same structure as a living organism has always interested me. The issue is that there isn't really an offered degree to jump me into that kind of field. I'm going for engineering, of course, but what confuses me is the scope of Biotechnology/Biomedical engineering. I have no idea which, or if even either, of them is what I need to be going into. I thought Biotech is what I wanted to do, but some of what I've looked into has said that it's purely microbiological, and some other things have said that it's used for integration in bionics and biomechatronics. I don't really know what direction to expand my research on the subject into to find out more, and I figured this would be a good place to ask the question. Also, I'm not really afraid of getting a degree in Biotech/Biomed engineering and going back for more education in electrical/mechanical if that's what it takes.

To sum up, what is the scope of the field of biotechnological engineering, and does it extend far enough to include work on bionics/biomechatronics? I've been accepted already to a Chemical Engineering: Biotechnology degree at one school, and am waiting for admission to my other top choice under Biomed with a second choice being Mechanical. I only just now was pointed out to that what I want to do might not fall under the category I was told that it did.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted