Could Botulin Toxin be a Potential Cure for Cancer?

• Medical
  • Thread starter munky99999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, Botox can screw with the acetocolyne cycle, which can then cause cells to die. This could be used as a cancer cure, but there are many side effects to consider.
munky99999
couple months ago i don't know why really. but i was reading up on Botox. which is ofcoarse related to the good old "Botulin toxin" and this screws with acetocolyne(sp?) cycle. which then this causes the cells to eventually die.

Now what I am wondering. could this be used as like a cancer cure? Infect the cancer cells and then when the acetocolyne is screwed up the cancer cells die.

and if the answer is going to be something like, you can't infect certain cells with Botulin like you propose. Then maybe another toxin which does something similar. or a new one which is design to such.

and from one of my other going threads. You sure can design a drug to do the effect you want. maybe some bad side effects but meh.

Biology news on Phys.org
There are many drugs available that kill cells, the problem is how do you target the right cells? Most anti-cancer drugs are designed to target molecules involved in cell replication, since tumor cells divide rapidly and are thus sensitized. There are attempts to look for tumor-specific expressed markers that can be used to target only the cancerous cells, but this has not been very effective yet.

Interesting that you mention bioterrorism, I remember the connection between mustard gas and anti-cancer drugs. It was noted that mustard gas victims had a low blood count: they had few white blood cells, and their bone marrow was breaking down. They did tests on mice which led to the clinical use of nitrogen mustards for chemotherapy (it an alkylating agent).

Monique said:
Interesting that you mention bioterrorism, I remember the connection between mustard gas and anti-cancer drugs. It was noted that mustard gas victims had a low blood count: they had few white blood cells, and their bone marrow was breaking down. They did tests on mice which led to the clinical use of nitrogen mustards for chemotherapy (it an alkylating agent).
some links to that would prove you to be truly better ?

Kaoko

1. What is bioterrorism and how does it relate to cancer?

Bioterrorism is the intentional release of harmful biological agents, such as viruses or bacteria, with the intention of causing illness or death. In the context of cancer, bioterrorism can involve the use of these agents to cause cancer or to worsen the progression of existing cancer.

2. What types of biological agents can be used for bioterrorism and how do they impact cancer risk?

Biological agents that can be used for bioterrorism include viruses, bacteria, and toxins. These agents can increase cancer risk by causing genetic mutations or suppressing the immune system, which can allow cancer cells to grow and spread more easily.

3. How does the development of bioterrorism defenses and treatments affect cancer research?

The research and development of bioterrorism defenses and treatments often involves studying the mechanisms of these biological agents and how they affect the human body. This can lead to a better understanding of cancer and potential new treatments for the disease.

4. Can bioterrorism be used as a weapon against cancer?

While bioterrorism can be used to cause or worsen cancer, it is not considered a viable or effective weapon against the disease. Cancer is a complex disease and targeting it with biological agents is not a reliable method for treating or preventing it.

5. What preventative measures can be taken to protect against bioterrorism and its potential impact on cancer?

Preventative measures for bioterrorism include surveillance and early detection of potential threats, as well as developing and stockpiling effective treatments and vaccines. In terms of cancer, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, getting regular screenings, and following recommended prevention guidelines can help reduce the risk of developing the disease, regardless of any potential bioterrorism threats.