1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot–Savart Law Problem

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the magnetic field at point O for the current-carrying wire segment shown in Figure. The wire consists of two straight portions and a circular arc of radius R, which subtends an angle Ɵ. The arrowheads on the wire indicate the direction of the current(Biot–Savart Law).

Capture.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

##dB = \frac {μ I}{4π} \frac {ds}{R^2}## - I

##B = \frac {μ I}{4π R^2} \int ds = \frac {μ I}{4π R^2} s = \frac {μ I}{4π R} Θ##

Since s=RΘ

I'm little bit confused in the calcualtion of ds in equation I.
    ##|\vec {ds} \times \hat r| = |\vec {ds}|.1.sin 90^o = ds##
    Does ds here represent the magnitude of the vector perpendicular to the vector ##\vec {ds}## and ##\hat r## or it represents the magnitude of orginal vector ##\vec {ds}##.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2014 #2
    ds is the magnitude of the vector ds what else could it be?

4. May 9, 2014 #3
    I know ds is magnitude of ##\vec{ds}##. My doubt is What does it represents. Does ds here represent the magnitude of the vector perpendicular to the vector ##\vec{ds}## and ##\hat{r}## or it represents the magnitude of orginal vector ##\vec{ds}##.

5. May 9, 2014 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

ds is the magnitude of the original vector ##\vec{ds}## and the direction of ##\vec {ds} \times \hat r## is the direction of ##d\vec{B}## due to the elemental current carrying wire.

6. May 9, 2014 #5
    Thanx I get it :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted