How Is Bipartite State Purity Affected by Parameter Changes?

• Thread starter ma18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, the purity of a bipartite state is affected by changes in parameters such as entanglement and decoherence. Entanglement, or the correlation between two or more quantum systems, can increase the purity of a bipartite state, while decoherence, or the loss of quantum coherence, can decrease it. Additionally, changing the relative phase between the two subsystems can also impact the purity of the bipartite state. Overall, understanding and controlling these parameters is crucial in maintaining the purity of bipartite states for quantum information processing tasks.
ma18

Homework Statement

Consider the bipartite state:

|q> = a/sqrt (2) (|1_A 1_B> +|0_A 0_B>)+sqrt((1-a^2)/2) (|0_A 1_B>+|1_A 0_B>)

where a is between or equal to 0 and 1

a) compute the state of the subsystem p_b

b) compute the purity of p_b as a function of a

c) for what values of a is the purity of p_b at a minimum/maximum

d) Compute the entanglement entropy of the bipartite state, for what value of a is it at a min/max

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done a) and found p_b to be :

p_b = |q_b><q_b|

where |q_b> = (a+sqrt(1-a^2))/sqrt(2) (|0_B>+|1_B>)

the computation for this is long and I don't want to replicate it here...

b)

I simply applied:

p (0_B,0_B) = <0_B|p_b|0_b> for the 4 combinations of |0_b> and |1_b> and got the matrix, then taking the trace of this for the diagonal terms I get 1/2 and 1/2 so the purity was equal to 1 and thus not dependent on a

c) It is unrelated

d) I know that the equation is

S (p_AB) = S (Tr_B p_AB)

but I don't know how to proceed from here

Any help such as how to proceed or checking my previous steps would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could anybody help with this please :smile:

ma18 said:
b)

I simply applied:

p (0_B,0_B) = <0_B|p_b|0_b> for the 4 combinations of |0_b> and |1_b> and got the matrix, then taking the trace of this for the diagonal terms I get 1/2 and 1/2 so the purity was equal to 1 and thus not dependent on a
How is purity defined?

DrClaude said:
How is purity defined?

In my notes purity is defined as the square of the trace of a state's density operator, it is between 1/d and 1 where d is the dimension of the Hilbert space. P = 1 for pure states. The states with maximal classical uncertainty (maximally mixed states) have the minimum possible purity P = 1/d, we say that the state is 'maximally mixed'.

ma18 said:
In my notes purity is defined as the square of the trace of a state's density operator,
You have a small mistake there. ##\mathrm{Tr}(\rho)## gives you the normalization of ##\rho##, so you will always get ##\mathrm{Tr}(\rho)^2 = 1##. To calculate the purity, you need to take the trace of the square of the density operator, ##\mathrm{Tr}(\rho^2)##.

DrClaude said:
You have a small mistake there. ##\mathrm{Tr}(\rho)## gives you the normalization of ##\rho##, so you will always get ##\mathrm{Tr}(\rho)^2 = 1##. To calculate the purity, you need to take the trace of the square of the density operator, ##\mathrm{Tr}(\rho^2)##.

Ah, that makes it work!

Alright so the only part I am confused about then is part d) and how to compute the entanglement entropy mathamatically

Your missing an equation for calculating the entropy of a density matrix.

DrClaude said:
Your missing an equation for calculating the entropy of a density matrix.

Yes I know. That is what I am searching for, I do not have it in my notes and there is no textbook :(

Do you know this equation?

Thank you for the equation and the link!

Hmm I am getting a negative entropy for some values of a

How come you posted it as log 2 but it simply says log, presumably log 10 on the site?

ma18 said:
Thank you for the equation and the link!

Hmm I am getting a negative entropy for some values of a

How come you posted it as log 2 but it simply says log, presumably log 10 on the site?
I put the 2 there to be explicit, as I guessed this would cause confusion. In this field, log always mean the logarithm in base 2.

1. What is a bipartite state purity?

A bipartite state purity is a measure of the degree of entanglement between two quantum systems.

2. How is bipartite state purity calculated?

Bipartite state purity is calculated by taking the trace of the squared reduced density matrix of the two subsystems. It ranges from 0 (fully mixed state) to 1 (maximally pure state).

3. What is the significance of bipartite state purity in quantum information?

Bipartite state purity is a key measure in quantum information as it quantifies the amount of entanglement between two quantum systems, which is a crucial resource for many quantum computing and communication tasks.

4. Can bipartite state purity be experimentally measured?

Yes, bipartite state purity can be experimentally measured using techniques such as quantum state tomography or entanglement witness measurements.

5. How does the concept of bipartite state purity relate to other measures of entanglement?

Bipartite state purity is closely related to other measures of entanglement, such as concurrence and entanglement entropy. However, it offers a more direct and intuitive understanding of the entanglement between two quantum systems.