Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bird in the house

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1

wukunlin

Gold Member

a bird decided to fly into the house, and then tries to exit from the highest window in the house which cann't be opened and none of us can reach, I want to figure out a way to throw the thing out without hurting it.

I'm thinking about waiting till dark and maybe leave a trail of lights (or food) to lead it out but I'm not confident that it will work. it will probably start to defecate all over the place sooner or later.

does anyone has experience to deal with this?

2e21ec2995a4440fe1ef4b9091c7bdd4c7449d4fcbc3fc0f64eba8180257f2c06g.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

When our parakeet would get lose, my grandmother would catch it with a crab net. Can you leave doors and windows open for awhile? It may find it's way out.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

When a bird is disoriented due to the dark, or to too-bright or unreliable light from that window, you can often capture it by hand. I use both hands, from the back, to gently restrain their wings and take them outside, while shifting to restraining them with just one hand. I always like to put a finger under their feet, so that they use their perching instinct to grab my finger, and then gently release their wings. When taking a bird outside after a period inside, they are often disoriented, blink, and act off-balance for a few seconds before they take off. Good luck, and thanks for caring for critters.

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4

wukunlin

Gold Member

hopefully, we are just going to leave it there and see if it will calm down.
    oh I see, I'll just wait till night and hope it will decide to come down.

6. Nov 2, 2011 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I had a bat fly into my house once (story is on my blog). I used a towel to throw over it and I think helps keep them from getting hurt while you carry them outside. Might help keep them a bit more calm too.

Keeping the windows open might work, but it didn't in my case. Good luck! :smile:

7. Nov 2, 2011 #6
    I say turnabout is fair play. Go into the bird house.

8. Nov 2, 2011 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Good idea!

Open doors works for feral cats and wild possums. But first all females in the house must scream, grab each other, and lock themselves in the master bedroom.

9. Nov 2, 2011 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Do you get to console yourselves with high-end ice cream and chocolates? Just asking'?

10. Nov 2, 2011 #9
    i had a hummingbird fly in once. turns out his night vision wasn't so great. when it got dark, i simply reached to the top of the bookshelf he'd perched on, and gently closed my fist around him. bird in hand, i set him on the balcony and closed the door so he couldn't return. and there he sat until morning.

11. Nov 2, 2011 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

If it's still there, it may need water. If it doesn't find its way out pretty soon, it may perish from thirst. I'd put out a little cup near its haunt.

12. Nov 2, 2011 #11

wukunlin

Gold Member

good point, I just placed a bucket of water below the window sill, it is very high up though, I don't know it will see the bucket. It is still trying and ram its way through the glass

13. Nov 2, 2011 #12
    Just go outside and spray the glass with your waterhose and when the bird flys down nab him with a bed sheet.

14. Nov 2, 2011 #13

wukunlin

Gold Member

waaah!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

it just won't come down

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

15. Nov 3, 2011 #14
    poor birdie :( Get a ladder or borrow one from a neighbor and get up there.

16. Nov 3, 2011 #15

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Or more will find their way in!

Just convert your house to an aviary. The game is over and you lost. if you're lucky, your new ornithoid overlords will at least let you take your belongings with you.

You had a bird in hand?! Dude, that's worth two in a bush (three Canadian)!! You're a fool to let it go.

I love girls.

17. Nov 3, 2011 #16
    Those days are gone. A Canadian dollar today costs as much as a real dollar.

18. Nov 3, 2011 #17

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Dollars?! What on earth are you talking about Old Man Snyder?? We're talking about birds!

Two American Goldfinches:
    AmericanGoldfinch_LaraAHardesty_blog.jpg

Are worth three Canadian Finches:
    PIGR+003.JPG

It's gold, after all... have you seen gold prices?

19. Nov 3, 2011 #18

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there any way you can cover the window? Maybe you can reach it with a stepladder from the outside and drape a towel or blanket over it. Then the idea is to get the bird to fly to an open window or doorway. You may need to cover or draw the shades on all closed windows in the house, so that the bird sees light coming only from the open door or window and flies to it.

20. Nov 3, 2011 #19

wukunlin

Gold Member

:(

we waited till night time, it finally decided to fly down. We took it outside and leave some food and water for it. In the morning it stopped moving :cry:
    My mother buried it in the garden

21. Nov 3, 2011 #20

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Ruined my day. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook