Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bird powered car!

1. Oct 3, 2004 #1
    I have it figured out how to make a car that is powered by a bird. First, it must be lightweight. Second, get a small cage (covered by a cloth with a string that you can pull to remove the cloth) and put a mouse in it and attach the cage to a pole and the pole to the end of car in the direction you want to go. Third, get a few large Hawks and tie a comfortable, lightweight rope to their leg and tie the rope end to the car. Fourthly, when you are ready to go, pull the cloth off the cage; the Hawks will do their best to catch the mouse and the result will be the pulling of the vehicle. Should I patent this idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2004 #2
    way too much free time...

4. Oct 4, 2004 #3
    Yow, but does anyone else have a "weird" method in mind for vehicle propulsion?

5. Oct 5, 2004 #4
    Large slingshots. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Bob (2004 ©)

6. Oct 5, 2004 #5

Ultralord Extra-Large Double-Barreled Slingshots?

7. Oct 5, 2004 #6
    You had that dream as well??? :rofl:

The Bob (2004 ©)

8. Oct 6, 2004 #7
    Brilliance.

Patenting the idea is a must.

Just a question out of curiosity: do you live alone?

9. Oct 7, 2004 #8
    Dear Mr. Timejim,

Regarding your application for a patent on your invention "The Bird Powered Car," you must prove that your invention is novel and non-obvious. The bird-mouse propulsion system described borders on obvious, but as you have applied the process in a novel approach, your application will not be rejected at this time on that basis. However, be it understood that if research indicates a similar, prior application the novelty will have to be revisited.

Please include with your application a detailed description of the concept, including the fuel system, waste disposal and exhaust system for both the mouse and bird elements, cover release mechanism details, mouse and bird harness details, vehicle description including passenger compartment, brakes and safety devices, etc. Drawings will be required for this application. They need not be to scale, but must indicate all visual information necessary to prove the usefulness of said invention.

Note that evironmental impact studies and humane treatment studies are not the jurisdiction of this department and must be filed seperately with the appropriate entity.

You are welcome to research the novelty of your invention at the Patent Search Room. This office has information on U.S. patents granted since 1790. and are arranged according to the U.S. Patent Classification System of over 400 classes, more than 136,000 subclasses. If you would care to search, knock you socks off. :yuck:

Sincerely,
    Noone Atthe Patentoffice

10. Oct 10, 2004 #9
    You know, I just had a thought "update" on my invention. If I use an Ostrich, it might be workable, but what do they eat? I would have to incorporate their preferences for "taste" on the end of my "enticement" pole.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?