Birds Dance to Music: Harvard Grad Films Cockatoo Jamming to Backstreet Boys

• Art
  • Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the article discusses the fascinatingly strange behavior of a lyre bird that can imitate sounds from various sources, including a chainsaw.
Science news on Phys.org
Boogie birds have got the beat.

Speaking of musical birds -

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a horrible day, that's just what I needed to pick my spirits up. Thanks for posting it.

Astronuc said:
Speaking of musical birds -

That lyre bird footage is absolutely amazing.

I bought Party Girl for W as a birthday gift a few years ago. She was a budgie. (Ill-tempered little beast.) This was before we put my mother in the home, so Lucifer T. Cat was still with her. When we let the bird out of her cage, she'd perch on the CD storage rack or on top of a speaker and just bob her little head off to whatever was playing.
As much as we hated each other, we seemed to have a mutual enemy in George Jones. (I detest cowboy music.) No matter where we placed that CD in the rack, Party Girl would find it and **** on it. :biggrin:

Interesting, Fuzzy. I don't usually pay much attention to nature stuff, but that was pretty cool.

Absolutely fascinating! The sounds that lyre bird makes are almost unbelievable.

Astro, your second link is dead.

This seems to me to raise the question : have they previously seen humans dancing ?

humanino said:
This seems to me to raise the question : have they previously seen humans dancing ?

If he did, then he must have been watching nerds. :biggrin:

I found some humans dancing ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYBNoFcvcWI

Ivan Seeking said:
Absolutely fascinating! The sounds that lyre bird makes are almost unbelievable.

Astro, your second link is dead.
I fixed the second link. It's about a lyre bird that mimics chainsaw, camera, music, DJ.

I've seen them in person. They are intereting creatures - and noisy too.

Last night I hear an owl making a sound like a chainsaw. I awoke from sleep thinking "who in the heck is using a chain saw at 3:30 in the morning".

1. What is the significance of birds dancing to music?

The significance of birds dancing to music is that it showcases their ability to understand and respond to auditory stimuli. This behavior is not commonly observed in the animal kingdom and suggests that birds may have a more complex cognitive and emotional capacity than previously thought.

2. How did the Harvard graduate film the cockatoo dancing to music?

The Harvard graduate used a camera to film the cockatoo dancing to music. The bird was trained to dance to specific songs and the graduate used positive reinforcement techniques to encourage the behavior. The filming took place in a controlled environment to minimize any distractions.

3. Can all birds dance to music?

Not all birds have been observed to dance to music, but some species, particularly parrots and cockatoos, have shown the ability to do so. This behavior is more commonly seen in birds that are kept as pets and have been trained by their owners.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for why birds dance to music?

There is no definitive scientific explanation for why birds dance to music, but it is believed to be related to their ability to mimic sounds and movements. Birds may also be responding to the rhythm and beat of the music, which triggers their natural instincts to vocalize and move.

5. What are the potential implications of this research?

The research on birds dancing to music may have implications for our understanding of animal cognition and communication. It could also provide insights into how different species respond to auditory stimuli and the role of music in their behavior. Additionally, this research may have potential applications in animal training and enrichment programs for captive birds.