Sending Eggs Overseas Safely - Aviculture Website

• Thread starter Geographer
  • Start date
In summary, members of an aviculture website are discussing an egg exchange programme. One member had sent eggs from Ireland to the USA, but they arrived with bubbles and damage inside. Solutions such as using a thermos flask or a substance to protect the eggs from high altitude are being suggested. Some also suggest using a device that can resist pressure, such as a cylinder. However, it is recommended to use a flask with a vacuum seal or something that can maintain a small positive pressure. Overall, the best option is still being debated.
Geographer
Hi all, I am a member of a aviculture website and some of the members are currently involved in an egg exchange programme. One member sent eggs from Ireland to the USA, but on arrival the eggs had bubbles in them and seemed to be damaged inside. Some have come up solutions such as putting the eggs in a thermos flask, or in a jelly-like substance and they believe this would protect the eggs from whatever they need protected from at the high altitude. Anyone know of a device or way that the eggs could be sent overseas in a plane without been damaged internally?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might need something that can resist pressure. Cylinders are good for that, especially for keeping high pressure though :/

Hi all, I am a member of a aviculture website and some of the members are currently involved in an egg exchange programme.
Birds can use the internet?

Last edited:
Thanks, Mattara. I think the flask option would be best, then.

Mk... :tongue:

Geographer said:
Thanks, Mattara. I think the flask option would be best, then.

Mk... :tongue:
I may be wrong, but I don't believe a thermos flask comes with a "vacuum seal". Perhaps you might want to put something in your flask that will outgas at the right rate to maintain a small positive pressure.

1. What is the recommended method for packaging and shipping eggs overseas?

The recommended method for packaging and shipping eggs overseas is to use a sturdy box with enough room for cushioning materials, such as bubble wrap or newspaper. The eggs should be individually wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a small, secure container, such as a plastic egg carton. The container should then be placed in the center of the box and surrounded by additional cushioning materials. The box should be clearly labeled as fragile and marked with arrows indicating the correct orientation.

2. What types of eggs can be safely shipped overseas?

Generally, only fresh, clean, and uncracked eggs should be shipped overseas. The eggs should also be from healthy birds and free from any diseases. It is also important to check the specific regulations and restrictions of the destination country before shipping eggs.

3. How should the eggs be handled during the shipping process?

Eggs should be handled with extreme care during the shipping process. They should be kept at a consistent temperature and protected from extreme heat or cold. It is also important to avoid shaking or dropping the package, as this can damage the eggs. Additionally, the package should be sent via a reliable shipping service with tracking options to ensure safe and timely delivery.

4. Are there any special permits or documentation required for shipping eggs overseas?

Yes, there may be special permits or documentation required for shipping eggs overseas, depending on the destination country. It is important to research and comply with all necessary regulations and requirements before shipping eggs.

5. How long can eggs safely remain in transit during overseas shipping?

Eggs can typically remain in transit for up to 48 hours during overseas shipping. However, the exact amount of time may vary depending on the destination and shipping method. It is important to minimize the time in transit as much as possible to ensure the safe arrival of the eggs.