Can Barbra Streisand Dummies Prevent Bird Strikes on Airplanes?

• Thread starter T.O.E Dream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engines
In summary: Some fighter aircraft (particulalrly Russian) have a retractable screen over the inlet to stop debris being sucked in on rought airstrips. But these inlets are very small and close to the body - the fan on a 777 or A380 is about 10ft across it would be tricky to have a bird proof screen for this.There are lots of solutions used, airports have load noise and flashing light bird scarers, some places also use hawks and models of hawks.Two possibilities:- get rid of jet planes- get rid of birds
T.O.E Dream
I know that a lot of plane crashes were caused by birds being sucked into an engine (e.g. the Hudson River Landing). Is there a way around the problem? I know that no solution is out there so what are some things that's stopping it?

Science news on Phys.org
T.O.E Dream said:
Is there a way around the problem?
Avoid birds
I know that no solution is out there so what are some things that's stopping it?
There are lots of solutions used, airports have load noise and flashing light bird scarers, some places also use hawks and models of hawks.

Two possibilities:
- get rid of jet planes
- get rid of birds

Seriously, there is not much you can do, beyond more robust engines & cockpit glass.

Bird strikes happen somewhere in the world almost daily, they aren't usually that serious.
it's only bad when you hit something large enough to knock out the engines, generally the engine wins

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/bild-english/PICTURES/news/2009/09/2009-09-29-bird-strike-boeing-plane-germania-jet/bird-strike-germania-plane-dusseldorf-01-13538449__MBQF,templateId=renderScaled,property=Bild,height=349.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It happened again today, by the way. Saw it on the local TV news just now. Didn't catch where it happened. Knocked out one of the engines. The plane landed safely, fortunately.

Tune into CNN right, right now. A bird knocked off a jet engine. Speak of the devil.

Though they happen a lot, it is extremely rare for them to cause a crash, so it isn't something real high on the list of things to put effort into - it's more of a nusance than a serious threat.

I'm sure they could simply angle the jet inlet up, for example. Maybe put some sort of screen over it while they were at it.

Since it doesn't seem too hard, and I'm sure someone has thought of this, it probably means that the associated efficiency losses are much worse than an engine or two getting knocked out once in a while...

Yes, angling the inlet up or adding a screen would vastly decrease the efficiency.

Lsos said:
I'm sure they could simply angle the jet inlet up, for example. Maybe put some sort of screen over it while they were at it.
Some fighter aircraft (particulalrly Russian) have a retractable screen over the inlet to stop debris being sucked in on rought airstrips. But these inlets are very small and close to the body - the fan on a 777 or A380 is about 10ft across it would be tricky to have a bird proof screen for this.

T.O.E Dream said:
Is there a way around the problem?

Flak.

T.O.E Dream said:
I know that no solution is out there so what are some things that's stopping it?

Anti-flak tower hippies.

a couple of life like full size Barbra Streisand dummies would do the job

1. What happens when a bird gets sucked into an engine?

When a bird gets sucked into an engine, it can cause damage to the engine and potentially lead to an emergency landing. The bird's body or feathers can also block the airflow, reducing the engine's performance.

2. How common is it for birds to be sucked into engines?

Bird strikes on aircraft are relatively common, with an estimated 10,000 strikes reported in the United States alone each year. However, not all bird strikes result in birds being sucked into engines.

3. Can birds cause a plane crash if they get sucked into an engine?

In rare cases, a bird strike can cause enough damage to an engine to lead to a plane crash. However, most modern aircraft engines are designed to withstand bird strikes and have multiple layers of protection.

4. What measures are taken to prevent birds from being sucked into engines?

Airports and airlines have a variety of measures in place to prevent bird strikes. These include using bird repellant systems, keeping grass and vegetation short around runways, and conducting regular inspections to remove any potential bird hazards.

5. What types of birds are most commonly involved in bird strikes?

The most common types of birds involved in bird strikes are gulls, followed by raptors (such as hawks and eagles), and waterfowl (such as geese and ducks). However, any type of bird can potentially be involved in a bird strike.