Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Birkeland current theory

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1
    Birkeland currents in space

i was hoping some people here could debunk some of the claims made in this documentary of cosmology. Its a really popular online video, it has has had over 100,000 views and has built a sort of cult following around it as it proposes a completely unique way of interpreting the cosmos. Its basically a look at electricity and plasma in space, and they make some good points about birkeland currents and filamentary structures in nebulae and also have some unorthodox ideas about nuclear fusion in the sun which explain why the chromosphere is millions of degrees hotter than the surface of the sun. Its a very believable documentary and i can see why its popular.

you can see a cut down version with just the science parts in at:
    or the full popular version:

could there really be an abundance of electricity in space? from what i've heard so far people say that charge cant separate in space for electricity to form, but why? theres a huge charge difference between the upper and lower atmosphere, thats what causes lightning.

there does seem to be science to back up electrical phenomenon in space from other peer reviewed papers;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkeland_current (with references included)
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not appropriate for this forum.

The key test for something like this [scientific theories] is published material. If the theories presented can be found in reputable scientific journals, then it is appropriate material for a regular forum, such as Cosmology. If it cannot be found in reliable journals, then it is not for discussion here or in any forum, and it can't be trusted. And with the understanding that I'm not a Cosmologist, what I did watch of this video seemed dubious at best. I would bet that a credential check would not help their case.

In any case, if the authors of a theory can't get published in a reputable journal, for now at least, consider the theory debunked. That's why we have peer-reviewed journals.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?