Birkeland Currents Collision: Effects & Consequences

• B
  • Thread starter ham61ham61
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary: About the same thing that would happen to two puffs of air that collide. Not much except when some PHD student needs an emergency topic to write about.In summary, if two Birkeland currents collided, it would be no different than two puffs of air that collide.
ham61ham61
What would happen if two birkeland currents collided?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ham61ham61 said:
What would happen if two birkeland currents collided?
What research have you done on this? What have you found out so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
Well essentially I’ve read that Venus’ birkeland current may reach earth. I know that the electrical currents are carried in plasma.

ham61ham61 said:
I’ve read that Venus’ birkeland current may reach earth.
This would not make any sense since Birkeland currents are part of a planet's magnetic field, and Venus has no significant magnetic field. Where did you read this?

Likes vanhees71 and ham61ham61
PeterDonis said:
This would not make any sense since Birkeland currents are part of a planet's magnetic field, and Venus has no significant magnetic field. Where did you read this?
I was reading about the tail of Venus and mistakenly assumed that that was a Birkeland current. I guess a more correct question would be ‘What would happen if the tail of Venus collided with Earth’s Birkeland current?’

ham61ham61 said:
I was reading
Where? Please give a specific reference.

ham61ham61 said:
What would happen if the tail of Venus collided with Earth’s Birkeland current?
The tail of Venus is just an expansion of Venus's ionosphere into space. Even if it were long enough to reach Earth (which is not currently known but seems to be unlikely), it would be no different than Earth's own ionosphere.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Where? Please give a specific reference.The tail of Venus is just an expansion of Venus's ionosphere into space. Even if it were long enough to reach Earth (which is not currently known but seems to be unlikely), it would be no different than Earth's own ionosphere.
Oh, ok, thankyou for clarifying. Regarding the Birkeland current, I was reading Wikipedia, while wondering if natural systems could be used to launch satellites. Hence my question around Birkeland currents.

ham61ham61 said:
I was reading Wikipedia, while wondering if natural systems could be used to launch satellites. Hence my question around Birkeland currents.
It's a really good idea on this forum to ask the question you REALLY want to ask, not beat around the bush with extraneous stuff.

Likes vanhees71 and DaveE
phinds said:
It's a really good idea on this forum to ask the question you REALLY want to ask, not beat around the bush with extraneous stuff.
That was the question I wanted to ask. Thanks for the heads up though.

ham61ham61 said:
‘What would happen if the tail of Venus collided with Earth’s Birkeland current?’
About the same thing that would happen to two puffs of air that collide. Not much except when some PHD student needs an emergency topic to write about. :wink:

• Haha
Likes phinds and vanhees71

1. What are Birkeland currents and how do they form?

Birkeland currents are electric currents that flow through Earth's upper atmosphere, also known as the ionosphere. They are caused by the interaction of charged particles from the solar wind with Earth's magnetic field.

2. What happens when Birkeland currents collide?

When Birkeland currents collide, they can create intense bursts of energy and particles that can have various effects on Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field.

3. What are the consequences of Birkeland currents collision?

The consequences of Birkeland currents collision can include disruptions in Earth's magnetic field, auroras, and disturbances in radio and satellite communications. They can also create currents in power grids and potentially damage electrical equipment.

4. Can Birkeland currents collisions be predicted?

While scientists have a general understanding of how Birkeland currents form and behave, it is difficult to predict when and where they will collide. However, ongoing research and monitoring can help to better understand and potentially predict these events.

5. How can Birkeland currents collisions be studied?

Birkeland currents collisions can be studied through various methods, such as satellite observations, ground-based measurements, and computer simulations. These studies help scientists to better understand the effects and consequences of these events and how they may impact our planet.