1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Birkhoff-MacLane books

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    Mod note: thread split off of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=566908

Do you mean that the Birkhoff and MacLane book was used for second year math students? Were students taught about categories in their second year? ( sorry for getting off topic, just curious )

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2

xristy

Gold Member

Re: Is Spivak's "Calculus" rigourous and comprehensive enough for an analysis course?

Maclane & Birkhoff "Algebra" is the category-theoretic experimental text. Birkhoff & Maclane "A Survey of Modern Algebra" is one of the mainstays of introductory algebra texts.

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    Re: Is Spivak's "Calculus" rigourous and comprehensive enough for an analysis course?

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm not too familiar with their other algebra book, so when I hear "Mac lane" I just think of the bigger Algebra book ( when do you think the bigger "Algebra" book would fit into a standard "pure" mathematics curriculum? )

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes birkhoff and maclane was used for the second year course and i took it from birkhoff.

6. Jan 19, 2012 #5

xristy

Gold Member

Maclane & Birkhoff is a bit higher level than Birkhoff & Maclane owing to the intention to introduce modern levels of abstraction such as categories and modules at an earlier stage than would have been customary in the late 60's. As they indicate in the Preface to the First Edition:
    It's my impression that the book was not widely adopted, but I recall at the time the idea seemed cool.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook