Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Birmingham dead man claims to be a spirit

1. Feb 21, 2004 #1
    Birmingham dead man claims to be a spirit

------------------------------------------------------

This a strange one. A guy called Michael Pennington claims to be a spirit and having died in 1971 he is now involved in a global quest to unite all those in the spirit world. If that wasnt bad enought he involves alien spirits and all sorts of plots. This person touches on religion quite a lot and claims many Christians are narrow minded by accepting God but then blanking out all possibility of spirits and aliens. He points to actual things in the Bible that back up some of what he says.

Its actually well written and believable and it has quite a following. Page after page of writings and messages the longest forum thread I have ever seen for certain. This mans writings delve into every aspect of the supernatural, paranormal and religion and its happening live too.

Its at

http://www.birminghamuk.com/forum

Id love to know what other peoples thoughts are on ghosts and alien collaboration and other dimensions of spiritualism.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2004 #2
    personally, it hurts my mind to predict/assume anything beyond my physical existence.

i will get confused on what i really believe, and that is not healthy.

i would rather deal with what is important now, like paying rent on time, and having sex with some hotties...

its there to wonder, but i guess it really isnt for me... i will usually find a flaw in anything paranormal... hence the word, paranormal...

some of it just doesnt add up, and the theories that do add up do not agree with anything i believed formerly... causing alot of confusion and detachment from life...

4. Feb 22, 2004 #3
    An honest opinion

Well at least that is a good honest opinion. I hope you get everything you wish for.

5. Feb 22, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course there are paranormal claims, and then there are flat out parawhacko claims. There is a difference.

In either case, paying the rent is good. :wink:

6. Feb 22, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

For a dead guy, he's not a bad writer. :wink:

7. Feb 22, 2004 #6
    Well, I don't buy it. I'm not just going to roll over and agree with this ghosts and spirits mumbo-jumbo after reading merely posts on a forum. But I was looking for flaws. Maybe it's only my misinterpretting of his explainations. In his first post he claims that two businessmen visited the building that he inhabits/inhabitted and he attempted to push one of them but to no avail. Yet in one of the prior paragraphs he states that he walked up a flight of stairs. He frequently stresses a "rubbery feeling" to everything he touches. Nevertheless, he was able to pivit and put his full weight on the stairs and therefore should be able to move or cause the movement of objects, inatimate or atimate. But maybe I didn't fully understand what he meant by "rubbery feeling" (but who could? you couldn't really believe that everything he...erm...touched, feels like a tire). Say it was more of a sponge-like feeling, and that the force of his shove was absorbed by...I don't know antimatter (don't ask me to explain this because I am just using it as an example and I am in no way suggesting that antimatter has anything to do with ghosts or the way that they navigate). Then my basis of arguement is invalid. But what's this! I have something else? If he had to concentrate and focus so intently on his typing, why would there be any mistakes (and there are)? For example: If he had to concentrate on the letter 'T' and its appearing on the moniter then why would he have typed a 'D' where a 'D' ought not be? I think it's a fine piece of literature that would be better off published under 'fiction' than it is posted in a forum concerning Birmingham, Alabama. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I am certainly not one to say that I am correct.

8. Feb 22, 2004 #7
    hmm, i accually just read a little bit of it... yes it is written well.

it seems people in alabama are easily persuaded to believe in ghost stories, guess they see alot of ghosts around there.

err...

9. Feb 22, 2004 #8

Evo

Uhmmm...actually, it's Birmingham, UK, as in England...

10. Feb 22, 2004 #9
    my bad, the UK... ;D

i DID read it!

really... i did...

11. Feb 23, 2004 #10

Evo

Actually, it was MushinMunen that got it wrong first.

12. Feb 23, 2004 #11
    now your being silly!

13. Feb 23, 2004 #12
    My apologies. I had forgotten.

14. Feb 23, 2004 #13
    your behaviour is unacceptable. go sit in the corner. and put on this hat <(

15. Feb 25, 2004 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The thing he said about people in Alabama wanting to believe in ghosts is true, though. I grew up there, and tales of the Haunted South were very popular. There are many stories related to Civil War battle sites.

But the only time I ever *might have actually met* a ghost it was in England. We went to a really old cemetary and this nun came up to us and she walked us through the graveyard and told us about each of the different graves and who was buried there. These were really old graves going back to the 1700's so it was a pretty fascinating place.
    We stopped at one particular grave and I turned just for a second to say something to my friend, and when I turned back to the nun to ask her a question she had vanished. We were both completely astounded. This was a very large open place so we should have seen her walking away. Eventually we just decided we'd seen a ghost and that was that.

But maybe us Alabama folk just tend to believe in stuff like that. :)

16. Feb 25, 2004 #15

Njorl

Science Advisor

Funny thing is, they were both huge steel producing towns at one point. In 1863, I think both cities led their respective countries in steel production. Totally irrelevant, I know, but what the heck.

Njorl

17. Feb 25, 2004 #16

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In 1863, I suppose Birmingham AL's country would be the CSA.

I think the Alabama city, which was built when some iron ore was discovered nearby, was hopefully named after the English one, which was already an industrial powerhouse.

18. Feb 25, 2004 #17

Njorl

Science Advisor

It actually outproduced Pittsburgh. The Union steel mills were distributed across a swath from Lake Michigan up along the Erie canal towns and down into central PA. Almost all Confederate steel came from the Birmingham mills.

Njorl

19. Feb 25, 2004 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember from my Alabama history class in high school : "Birmingham is the Pittsburgh of the South."
    We were supposed to memorize that for some reason. That and the fact that the Boll Wevil Monument is Enterprise, Alabama.
    I guess I did learn a few things in school.

20. Feb 25, 2004 #19
    I went to Catholic school from the third to the eighth grade. All the nuns know this trick. The worst thing is when they appear out of nowhere when you're doing something you're not supposed to.

21. Feb 25, 2004 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! They must learn that in nun-school.
    That fellow pretending to be the ghost writes a fabulous story though. Did you look at it? Very imaginative. I thought it might have been a Zooby-hoax it was so clever! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?