Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Birthday List

1. Feb 18, 2006 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is just something I've been curious about for a while, and today, my curiosity peaked.

We have around 32,000 members here, so you'd expect, on average, nearly a hundred member birthdays everyday. Yet, I've noticed no more than two or three birthdays listed on most days. I'd imagined that only the members that were new or active would make the list, but today's birthday member registered in 2004, and has 0 total posts.

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=16931

What's the deal with this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I sometimes wonder that too. I do know that if you set your UserCP preferences to not display your birthdate, you won't show up on the birthday list, so there are probably a lot of members who opt to keep that information private. But, if you look at the calendar, sometimes birthdays show up on that but aren't shown on the front page birthday list. Those are the ones I really don't understand. I don't see much need to have people who have been inactive for over a year still showing up on the birthday list, though sorting them out might be more hassle than it's worth.

4. Feb 18, 2006 #3
    Well lets do some math here...
    there are 32,427 and the 365 days in a year.But there are leap years in every years so that means an average year is 365.25 days are year.
    [tex] 88.8 =\frac{32427}{365} [/tex]
    so there should be an average of 88.8 members birthday a day.But that isn't entirlery ture because on some days there more eople being born then others.Look at the calander.
    You should read this article
    http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=402

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  5. Feb 18, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course ! I bet that's what it is.

Hmmm...just when I thought the mystery was completely solved.

6. Feb 19, 2006 #5
    Birthdays are only advertised if it's an active member. An active member is someone who has logged in within the past two months of the current date.

7. Feb 19, 2006 #6
    Is it mandatory to enter your birthday? I'd imagine that far more people just don't enter the information.

8. Feb 19, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't remember. It might not be. There are enough people who seem to be the epitomy of youthful good health at 100 years old, or quite mature and eloquent for a 2 year old, that even if it's required, they aren't all bothering to put in accurate information.

9. Feb 19, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The month and day are all that's needed.

10. Feb 20, 2006 #9
    How many people are there using the same birthday ?

11. Feb 20, 2006 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Several people used January 1st. Sneaky little hobbitses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?