1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bismuth sulphide structural diagram

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    Can anyone tell me if the structural diagarm of Bismuth(III) Sulphide looks like this:

S-S-S
    l l
    Bi = Bi

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2
    They want to have a total of 40 electrons.
    They have a total of 28.
    That leaves a difference of 12 e-, divide by 2e- per bond, meaning there are going to be 6 bonds.
    The structural diagram would look like this (i think).

Attached Files:

4. Nov 4, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a good attempt, rocketboy...but I don't think it's the right structure. For one thing, it creates too many charged species (with the central S-atom having to accomodate a 2+ charge)

I can think of a structure that requires only two singly-charged species.

PhysicsBeginner : It's an important part of the process that you figure out the charges on the different atoms. To do this, you must also determine the number of non-bonding electrons on each atom.

The failure of your structure lies in the following :

1. It requires 4 charged atoms (and it requires an S to hold a positive charge and a Bi to hold a negative charge; both of which are against their tendencies)

2. It proposes a long, linear molecule, which is energetically less favorable than a more compact structure, like the one suggested by rocketboy.

3. There's a structure that is more compact still, and yet has only 2 charged species (an S- and a Bi+).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?