Bit harsh closing a thread for a first-time user?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter aheight
  • Start date
In summary, a thread discussing unsolved problems in number theory was closed by the moderators after a first-time user posted it. The moderators were criticized for being harsh and not giving the user a chance to explain their question. However, the user in question was not a first-time user and had a history of problematic behavior on the forum. The moderators decided to close the thread due to the user's past behavior and the fact that it was one of many similar threads started by the user.
aheight
Why close the thread : Unsolved problems in number theory ?

Bit harsh don't you guys think? This is a first-time user. Couldn't we have at least extended some semblance of courtesy and at least explained to him that "cold questions" are looked down upon and ask perhaps if he had a specific question in mind? And he did ask if anyone wanted to discuss them. I would have. I feel abruptly closing the thread for a first-time user with the comment "just look it up" is unnecessarily callous. It looks like PF expects new users to act perfectly appropriate, asking a precisely-worded question the first time.

Should have given him a break I think. I ask that the mentors reconsider and open it up for a few days.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is much more to that story. That user was very problematic, and is no longer here. Perhaps on the face of it without any of the backstory, it looks a bit curt.

Likes dlgoff, Astronuc, russ_watters and 1 other person
It wasn't a first-time user. Far from it.

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and hutchphd
aheight said:
This is a first-time user.
PeroK said:
It wasn't a first-time user. Far from it.
Indeed. The member in question has many posts under the name "trees and plants," as well as many more under two previous names, names that were changed by the forum owner. That member also started quite a few threads on how he might come up with solutions to unsolved problems in mathematics or physics. The thread that was closed was really one too many in that vein, and was closed (not by me, though).

Likes russ_watters and PeroK
Ok. Did not know this. When I first read the OP, it looked to me he had a single post so that's why I found it a bit harsh.

Likes Algr and PeroK
He goes back almost a year. July 2020, perhaps earlier. (Obviously it's hard to search)

1. What does it mean to close a thread?

Closing a thread means that no further comments or discussions can be added to that particular online conversation. It is a way to end the discussion and prevent any further contributions.

2. Why would a thread be closed for a first-time user?

A thread may be closed for a first-time user if their contribution violates the forum's rules or guidelines. This could include spamming, trolling, or posting inappropriate content.

3. Is it fair to close a thread for a first-time user?

It depends on the situation. If the first-time user's contribution clearly violates the forum's rules, then it is fair to close the thread. However, if the user's contribution is simply a misunderstanding or a minor mistake, it may be more appropriate to give them a warning or edit their post instead of immediately closing the thread.

4. Can a first-time user appeal a closed thread?

Yes, a first-time user can appeal a closed thread by contacting the forum's moderators or administrators. They can explain their situation and provide any necessary explanations or clarifications. The moderators may then choose to reopen the thread if they feel it is appropriate.

5. How can a first-time user avoid having their thread closed?

To avoid having their thread closed, a first-time user should make sure to read and follow the forum's rules and guidelines. They should also take the time to understand the community's culture and expectations before making any contributions. If they are unsure about anything, they can always reach out to the moderators for clarification.