1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bit Operation Counting

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am wondering is there a way to count the number of bits to the left or right of a given 1 in a 32-bit integer?

For example, if I give the function the number 32 = 0b100000, there are 5 bits to the right of the 1 and hence, 26 bits to the left of the 1.

The catch is, is there a way to do this by simply using bit operations? i.e. no loops or conditionals? Bit operations include: & ^ | << >> ! and ~

(Note: I am coding this in C)

3. The attempt at a solution

Obviously, if I subtract 1 from the original number, I get all 1s to the right of the original number but I'm still stumped as to how I can count the actual number of bits without using loops or conditional statements.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 23, 2010 #3
    Thanks, but the link you posted has the solution using a for loop.

Is there a way to do this without using loops or conditional statements? Simply using bit operations such as << >> ! ~ & | ^

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not the kernighan solution - but the ones below it (that was the only entry that had an index position)

6. Jan 24, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Read on in the page that mgb_phys linked to. The very first routine uses a for loop, but there are other techniques on the page that don't use loops.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook