Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bits Missing From Hubble Photos

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe there's a bright foreground object there that would ruin the processing of the data?

4. Feb 15, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The majority of the photos you see from the Hubble Space Telescope, like this one, were taken with the "Wide-Field Planetary Camera 2," which is composed of four independent CCD chips laid out in an array. One of the CCDs has a different optics package to increase its resolution, so, when used together to form a mosaic image, a "stairstep" pattern results. If you look closely at this image, you'll see the slightly different color balance from the "PC" CCD versus the other three, larger, "WFC" CCDs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Field_and_Planetary_Camera_2

- Warren

5. Feb 19, 2006 #4
    isnt it obvious...

alien saucer! and The MAN is covering it up!

just kidding. :confused:

Hurkyl explained one reason why this could be.

The other might be post-processing problems.

you should be aware that these pictures are slowly layered into colour.

personally with photoshop ive seen quite a few times problems when i tried this. I would layer the colours and the last steps the colours would over saturate and it would then make it very blurry. so to save the colour picture u need to remove the blur, and by that u need to remove the affecting light source.

6. Feb 19, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was speculating. chroot posted the answer already.

7. Feb 19, 2006 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Chroot is correct. The published photos are mosaic images. The missing pixels are merely gaps in the overlay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?