Using Biuret Solution to Quantitatively Measure Proteins

In summary, biuret solution is an organic compound indicator that can be used to qualitatively detect the presence of proteins through a color change. It can also be used for quantitative measurements such as spectrophotometry, where the intensity of the color change is proportional to the amount of protein present. While it may not be as sensitive as other methods like the bradford reagent, it is still a viable option for measuring protein concentration.
jen333
hi all!
I was just thinking about organic compound indicators, and biuret solution for proteins crossed my mind. I know that it can be used to qualitatively tell the presence of proteins (peptide linkages) with a colour change. But is there a way that biuret solution can be used to take quantitative measurements? ie) spectrophotometry, or is the reaction exothermic allowing a temperature measurement (not quite sure)
Hope to receive some thoughts! thx!

Biology news on Phys.org
Just did a quick search and while the papers I pulled up were somewhat old, mostly 70s/80s, Bieuret can be used with spectrophotometry. The intensity of the colour change is proportional to the amount of protein present.

In my old lab, we used biuret reagent to measure protein concentration of a solution rather than the bradfort reagent. You measure the change in colour using a spectrophotometere. I think the wavelength is 450 nm.

However, the biuret reagent may not be as sensitive as the bradfort, but I'm 100% sure.

1. What is biuret solution?

Biuret solution is a chemical reagent commonly used in scientific experiments to detect the presence of proteins. It is composed of a mixture of copper sulfate and sodium potassium tartrate in an alkaline solution. When combined with proteins, biuret solution turns from blue to purple, allowing for quantitative measurement of protein concentrations.

2. How does biuret solution measure proteins?

Biuret solution contains copper ions that form complexes with the peptide bonds in proteins. This results in a color change from blue to purple, which can be measured using a spectrophotometer. The intensity of the color is directly proportional to the amount of protein present, allowing for quantitative measurement.

3. What types of proteins can be measured with biuret solution?

Biuret solution is able to detect and measure most types of proteins, including enzymes, structural proteins, and transport proteins. However, it may not be effective for measuring certain proteins, such as those with low molecular weights or those that do not contain peptide bonds.

4. What are the advantages of using biuret solution for protein measurement?

Biuret solution is a relatively simple and inexpensive method for quantitatively measuring proteins. It also has a wide range of detection and can be used to measure multiple samples at once. Additionally, it is not affected by the presence of other common substances in biological samples, such as nucleic acids or lipids.

5. Are there any limitations or potential errors when using biuret solution to measure proteins?

While biuret solution is a commonly used method for protein measurement, there are some limitations and potential sources of error. For example, it may not accurately measure proteins with non-peptide bonds, and the color intensity may be affected by the presence of certain substances or contaminants in the sample. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and controls when using biuret solution to ensure accurate results.