Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biuret Solution!

1. Jan 12, 2007 #1
    hi all!
    I was just thinking about organic compound indicators, and biuret solution for proteins crossed my mind. I know that it can be used to qualitatively tell the presence of proteins (peptide linkages) with a colour change. But is there a way that biuret solution can be used to take quantitative measurements??? ie) spectrophotometry, or is the reaction exothermic allowing a temperature measurement (not quite sure)
    Hope to receive some thoughts! thx!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2007 #2
    Just did a quick search and while the papers I pulled up were somewhat old, mostly 70s/80s, Bieuret can be used with spectrophotometry. The intensity of the colour change is proportional to the amount of protein present.
  4. Jan 13, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In my old lab, we used biuret reagent to measure protein concentration of a solution rather than the bradfort reagent. You measure the change in colour using a spectrophotometere. I think the wavelength is 450 nm.

However, the biuret reagent may not be as sensitive as the bradfort, but I'm 100% sure.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?