1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bivariate probability

1. May 9, 2009 #1
    Let the joint probability density function of random variables X and Y be given by

f(x,y) = 2 if 0 <= y <= x <= 1
    and 0 otherwise

a) calculate the marginal probability density functions.

f(x) = 2x
    f(y) = 2-2y

b) find E(X) and E(Y).

E(X) = 2/3
    E(Y) = 1/3

c) calculate P(X<1/2) , P(X<2Y) and P(X=Y).

P(X<1/2) = integral from 0 to 1/2 of 2x dx = 1/4

but as for the other 2 I have no idea on how to do them. do they also involve the marginal distribution functions? Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

These are correct, except remember that the equations are valid only for [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex] and [tex]0 \leq y \leq 1[/tex]. Both f(x) and f(y) are zero for x and y outside those intervals.

Yep.

Correct.

Try calculating P(X<2Y) directly from the joint probability density function. All you need to do is work out what the region "X < 2Y" looks like and how to perform a double integral over that region.

For P(X=Y) my suggestion is similar: what does the region "X=Y" look like in the X-Y plane, and can you immediately identify the probability without even integrating?

4. May 10, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the help..

I can see by looking at the graph that the answer should be 1/2 but i dont know how to set up the integrals, i know it involves the f(x,y) and a double integral over dx and dy.

as for P(X=Y) is that 0 (does this have anything to do with it being continuous)?

5. May 10, 2009 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Notice that the original joint density function is zero unless Y <= X. What does this say about the probability that X < 2Y?

Yes and yes. The line X = Y is a region with zero area (it's just a line), so in order for the probability to be nonzero, there would have to be a concentration of probability on that line, which requires at least one non-continuous random variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook