Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bivectors, Cartan Geometry and Curvature

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    I allow myself to repost some questions from the General Relativity section, as they may fit in better here:

I have 3 questions related to bivector space, the curvature tensor and Cartan geometry.

1) Because of its antisymmetric properties

[tex] R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}=-R_{\nu\mu\alpha\beta}[/tex] , [tex] R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}=-R_{\mu\nu\beta\alpha}[/tex] ,

the Riemann curvature tensor can be regarded as a second-rank bivector [tex] R_{AB} [/tex] in six-dimensional space (in case of spacetime dimension four). Due to the symmetry

[tex] R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}=R_{\alpha\beta\mu\nu} [/tex] ,

one can also conclude that [tex] R_{AB}=R_{BA}[/tex] . My question now is, which of the symmetry properties remain when extending Riemannian geometry to Cartan geometry with a non-symmetric Ricci-Tensor? Is it correct that one can still obtain a bitensor [tex] R_{AB}[/tex] , which then however is non-symmetric?

2) The six-dimensional space is of signature (+++---). Is there any analogue to Lorentz transformations in this space?

3) The metric [tex] g_{AB}[/tex] in bivector space can be constructed by

[tex] g_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} = g_{\mu\rho}g_{\nu\sigma}-g_{\mu\sigma}g_{\nu\rho} [/tex] .

I guess from that one can derive a curvature tensor [tex] R_{ABCD} [/tex] for the six-dimensional space. Is that correct? And is there any interpretation for the bitensor representation [tex] R_{AB} [/tex] of [tex] R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}[/tex] ?

Any answers highly appreciated!

Cheers

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted