Divisibility of 19: Bizarre Matrix Problem with Surprising Solution

• Thread starter Surreal Ike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses using the fact that 21,375, 38,798, 34,162, 40,223, and 79,154 are all divisible by 19 to show that a given matrix is also divisible by 19 without directly evaluating the determinant. This is achieved by adding a multiple of any column to any other column, which results in a linear combination that is divisible by the same number.
Surreal Ike
I found this odd question in the back of the chapter supplement. I don't need to do it for homework and it probably won't be on the test but the fact that I don't know how to do the problem frustrates me.

Here it is:

Use the fact that 21,375, 38,798, 34,162, 40,223, and 79,154 are all divisible by 19 to show that

| 2 1 3 7 5 |
| 3 8 7 9 8 |
| 3 4 1 6 2 |
| 4 0 2 2 3 |
| 7 9 1 5 4 |

is divisible by 19 without directly evaluating the determinant.

It wasn't too hard to notice that the digits of the numbers given were also the digits you get from reading off the numbers in the rows... but this seems like a very superficial relationship!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember the property that the determinant of a matrix remain constant if you add a multiple of any column to any other column?

No, but now I do. What are you getting at?

Try to add some other columns to the last column.

The point being that 2(10000)+ 1(1000)+ 3(100)+ 7(10)+ 5= 21375, 3(10000)+ 8(1000) +7(100)+ 9(10)+ 8= 38798, etc. That particular linear combination of the numbers on anyone row is divisible by the same number.

Well, if you want to put it *THAT* bluntly...

Thank you.

1. What is a bizarre matrix problem?

A bizarre matrix problem is a mathematical problem that involves a matrix, which is a rectangular array of numbers or expressions. The problem may seem unusual or unconventional in its approach or solution.

2. What makes a matrix problem "bizarre"?

A matrix problem can be considered bizarre if it has an unexpected or unconventional solution, or if it involves nontraditional operations on the matrix, such as taking the square root or logarithm of a matrix.

3. How do you approach solving a bizarre matrix problem?

The approach to solving a bizarre matrix problem will depend on the specific problem and the techniques or methods used to solve it. Generally, it is helpful to have a strong understanding of matrix operations and properties, as well as problem-solving strategies.

4. Are there any real-world applications for bizarre matrix problems?

Yes, bizarre matrix problems have various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they can be used in data analysis, image processing, and cryptography.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving a bizarre matrix problem?

Some tips for solving a bizarre matrix problem include being familiar with basic matrix operations, carefully reading and understanding the problem, and breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to practice and gain experience with solving various types of matrix problems.