1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Bizzare math - Zipf law

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1
    Wow, just wow. Only just stumbled across this so haven't looked at any formal studies but still, wow!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 5, 2017 #3

jedishrfu

Quite interesting, I was curious to find whether it applied to Chinese where words like the, a .... are not used that is you when you say "I read the book" in Chinese there is no "the" it's literally "I read book".

Investigations are more difficult since a word in Chinese may be represented by one or more characters so that you can't just do stats on the character usage alone, instead you need to understand the context.

I found this paper that talks about the issues:

http://www.colips.org/journals/volume18/JCLC_2008_V18_N1_04.pdf

5. Jan 5, 2017 #4
    Curious how did you search that paper, I could not turn up much on Dr Google.

I would like to improve my search skills to find more info from the literature.

6. Jan 5, 2017 #5

jedishrfu

The trick is to use words low on the zips meter so that you'll get more precise hits.

For the search above I used "Chinese zipf law" and it came up on the second hit.

It may be that google uses this trick to improve its search results too but I don't know that. Anyway you might gain some insight from Google search presentation which I just found by luck:

https://www.google.com/insidesearch/howsearchworks/thestory/part-2.html

7. Jan 5, 2017 #6

jedishrfu

it was also curious that your video had a chart of zipf applied to the mysterious voynich book which has yet to be translated or even proven to be a real document.

8. Jan 5, 2017 #7
    I take no responsibility for the content.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted