Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Bizzare math - Zipf law

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1
    Wow, just wow. Only just stumbled across this so haven't looked at any formal studies but still, wow!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 5, 2017 #3

jedishrfu

Quite interesting, I was curious to find whether it applied to Chinese where words like the, a .... are not used that is you when you say "I read the book" in Chinese there is no "the" it's literally "I read book".

Investigations are more difficult since a word in Chinese may be represented by one or more characters so that you can't just do stats on the character usage alone, instead you need to understand the context.

I found this paper that talks about the issues:

http://www.colips.org/journals/volume18/JCLC_2008_V18_N1_04.pdf

5. Jan 5, 2017 #4
    Curious how did you search that paper, I could not turn up much on Dr Google.

I would like to improve my search skills to find more info from the literature.

6. Jan 5, 2017 #5

jedishrfu

The trick is to use words low on the zips meter so that you'll get more precise hits.

For the search above I used "Chinese zipf law" and it came up on the second hit.

It may be that google uses this trick to improve its search results too but I don't know that. Anyway you might gain some insight from Google search presentation which I just found by luck:

https://www.google.com/insidesearch/howsearchworks/thestory/part-2.html

7. Jan 5, 2017 #6

jedishrfu

it was also curious that your video had a chart of zipf applied to the mysterious voynich book which has yet to be translated or even proven to be a real document.

8. Jan 5, 2017 #7
    I take no responsibility for the content.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted