Understanding NPN BJT Transistor: Ic & Ib Ratios

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the input and output currents in a NPN BJT transistor. The DC current gain (beta) is the ratio between the collector and base currents, with the collector current (Ic) considered as the output and the base current (Ib) as the input. This is because Ic is proportional to Ib within the linear range of the device. The conversation also mentions the different arrangements of common emitter, common base, and common collector and how they affect current and voltage gain. Finally, it is noted that the direction of current flow can differ between NPN and PNP transistors.
chenrim
Hi i have have a small question regrading to a NPN BJT transistor.

the DC current gain (beta) is the ratio between Ic/Ib where Ic and Ib are the collector and base currents respectively.

Ib is the input current, that's alright , but, i don't get why Ic considered as the output?
in NPN BJT Ic's direction is into the collector (and the electrons direction is the opposite)

please help me for understanding this issue
thanks,
Chen

Engineering news on Phys.org
chenrim said:
Ib is the input current, that's alright , but, i don't get why Ic considered as the output?

because Ic is proportional to Ib ( at least within the linear range of the device)

there's many good www sites explaining the operations of transistors
some simple googling with give you hours of fun reading :)

Dave

chenrim said:

It's purely wording, not science.
"Input" and "output" usually refer to direction of signal flow, not current flow.

Look at your three arrangements:
Common Emitter: Input goes to base, output taken from collector
this is the arrangement most often encountered
has both current gain and voltage gain

Common Base: Input goes to emitter, output taken from collector
Has voltage gain but not current gain

Common Collector, or Emitter Follower: Input goes to base, output taken from emitter
has current gain but not voltage gain

And observe that current flows into a NPN collector but out of a PNP collector.

Any help ?

Likes Mike_In_Plano and davenn
The controlling signal is the input, the controlled signal is the output. That's a reasonable generalization.

Hi Chen,

Thank you for your question. The Ic and Ib ratios in a NPN BJT transistor are important for understanding how the transistor operates and how it can be used in circuits. I can help clarify why Ic is considered the output in this case.

First, it is important to understand that transistors are current-controlled devices. This means that the amount of current flowing through the base (Ib) controls the amount of current flowing through the collector (Ic). The base current acts as a switch, turning the transistor on and allowing current to flow through the collector.

Now, let's look at the direction of current flow in a NPN BJT transistor. As you mentioned, the direction of Ic is into the collector, but this is because the current in the transistor is carried by majority charge carriers, which in this case are holes. These holes flow from the base into the collector, creating the Ic current. This direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of electron flow, but it is still considered the output because it is the current that is being controlled and used in the circuit.

I hope this helps clarify the issue for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Understanding the operation of transistors is an important aspect of being a scientist, and I am happy to assist in any way I can.

Best,

1. What is a NPN BJT transistor and how does it work?

A NPN BJT transistor is a type of semiconductor device that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It is made up of three layers of doped materials, namely the emitter, base, and collector. The base layer is very thin and acts as a control region for the flow of current between the emitter and collector. When a small current is applied to the base, it controls a larger current flowing between the emitter and collector, making the transistor act like a switch or an amplifier.

2. What is the Ic and Ib ratio in a NPN BJT transistor?

The Ic and Ib ratio, also known as the collector current to base current ratio, is a measure of the amplification capability of a NPN BJT transistor. It represents the ratio of the current flowing through the collector to the current flowing through the base. This ratio is typically denoted by β (beta) and can vary depending on the type of transistor and its operating conditions.

3. How does the Ic and Ib ratio affect the performance of a NPN BJT transistor?

The Ic and Ib ratio is an important factor in determining the gain or amplification of a NPN BJT transistor. A higher Ic and Ib ratio means that a smaller base current can control a larger collector current, resulting in a higher gain. This also means that the transistor can amplify smaller signals effectively. However, a high Ic and Ib ratio can also lead to instability and distortion in the amplified signal, so it is important to choose an appropriate value for the desired application.

4. How can the Ic and Ib ratio be calculated or measured?

The Ic and Ib ratio can be calculated by dividing the collector current by the base current. This can be done by using a multimeter to measure the current at the collector and base terminals of the transistor. The ratio can also be found in the datasheet of the transistor, which provides information about its characteristics and performance.

5. What are some common applications of NPN BJT transistors?

NPN BJT transistors have a wide range of applications, including as switches, amplifiers, and oscillators in electronic circuits. They are commonly used in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and digital logic circuits. They are also used in many electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and mobile phones.