1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BJT hybrid pi model example

1. Mar 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the example along with the solution:
    dRXPP9d.jpg

What I don't get is what happened to the R_E value. So in this model does it neglect this value? It seems like R_E could be anything and you would still get the same model.

I have another question, for this same example, it asks what is the max v_s that the previous analysis is valid? There are two criteria in which we have to look at, i) we have to make sure it remains in active mode and ii) the small signal condition. I understand part i) which requires us to look at the allowable swing of the output value. What I don't get is part ii) and here is the solution:
    JcrvxSx.png

It might be a bit blurry but the first part says v_be(max) approximately equals to 10 mV. Here v_be is voltage across the be junction due to the small signal I think?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is an AC analysis. The answer is the note, "Large C = short circuit, so no R_E in equivalent circuit". You choose the value for the capacitor to make its impedance negligible compared with the resistors in the circuit, at the frequencies the amplifier is designed for.

The value of R_E sets the DC operating conditions for the amplifier - specifically, the emitter current.

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3
    And what is the value or [itex]R_\pi[/itex]? It is used in calculation of [itex]R_{in}[/itex] and when you have [itex]R_{in}[/itex] you can solve resistor divider [itex]R_s[/itex] and [itex]R_{in}[/itex] and get [itex]v_s[/itex] from [itex]v_{be(max)}[/itex] (equation in second picture).

5. Mar 12, 2014 #4
    Woops, I forgot to mention that I don't understand what the v_be max is 10 mV?

6. Mar 13, 2014 #5
    Does anyone know why?

7. Mar 13, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the limit imposed by the problem. It results in a max. permissible Vs per the given formula ("ruling condition") of 13.9 mV.

This is a poor circuit in that it results in massive harmonic distortion if the input Vs isn't kept to a small value. Reason is lack of negative feedback due to infinite R_E bypass capacitor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted