Exploring Black Body Assumptions for Deriving Spectrums

In summary: The black body is a perfect absorber of all radiation, so it would absorb all the colors of the visible spectrum.
spaghetti3451
To derive the blackbody spectrum, we set up the situation by assuming that a cavity is in thermodynamic equilibrium with a heat bath.

My questions are:

1) Is the heat bath the black body?

2) Why is it called a blackbody?

3) Why does the cavity have to be in thermal equilibrium with the heat bath?

4) Where in the derviation of the spectrum are the assumptions of a heat bath and thermodynamic equilibrium and cavity incorporated?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer it all, but I believe they call it a black body because the object absorbs all electromagnetic radiation. There isn't actually something in real life that is a perfect black body, but it's useful to think of for the theory.

failexam said:
To derive the blackbody spectrum, we set up the situation by assuming that a cavity is in thermodynamic equilibrium with a heat bath.

My questions are:

4) Where in the derviation of the spectrum are the assumptions of a heat bath and thermodynamic equilibrium and cavity incorporated?

It's important to know that blackbody radiation refers to the thermal equilibrium of an electromagnetic field; not a physical object. As a practical matter, the cavity is held at a fixed temperature, and the radiation is in thermal equilibrium with the cavity.

NIST has a lot of information about blackbodies:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNHQP5im9pBuWnK2S7Y_0Ys_AFkpJw&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNEbsxOeLSV1gEse7GUJx_D3JCoTUQ&cad=rja

failexam said:

My questions are:

failexam said:

No

failexam said:

A perfect black body absorbs all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation.

failexam said:

So you get constant temperature I would guess. You are working in a grand-canonical ensemble (it can't be canonical because the number of photons is not constant). I think you consider the cavity to be a closed thermodynamic system.

Amok said:
No

What then is the black body? And why would we need a heat bath?

Amok said:
A perfect black body absorbs all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation.

So, how does that the body is black? Is the body black in reality?

Amok said:
So you get constant temperature I would guess. You are working in a grand-canonical ensemble (it can't be canonical because the number of photons is not constant). I think you consider the cavity to be a closed thermodynamic system./QUOTE]

Ok, I see! We use a heat bath so that the temperature of the cavity remains constant.
Further, how can the cavity be a closed thermodynamic system if it is absorbing and releasing matter and energy continuously. And why do can't we deal with the general case of non-uniform temperature?

failexam said:
What then is the black body? And why would we need a heat bath?

I guess it would be really black, the blackest of blacks. A body that doesn't absorb everything is usually referred to as a 'gray body'.

failexam said:
Ok, I see! We use a heat bath so that the temperature of the cavity remains constant.
Further, how can the cavity be a closed thermodynamic system if it is absorbing and releasing matter and energy continuously. And why do can't we deal with the general case of non-uniform temperature?

When you poke a hole in the ''box'' in order to see the black body emission, I guess the system isn't closed anymore and that's why you should poke only a very small hole in it. Honestly though, there's only so much I remember about statistical mechanics, but this subject is treated very thoroughly in most good statistical mechanics book.

Amok said:

I guess it would be really black, the blackest of blacks. A body that doesn't absorb everything is usually referred to as a 'gray body'.
Not really, the "blackest" bodies we know of are probably stars, and they are not really black (the color black, that is). Just because it absorbs all incoming radiation doesn't mean that it doesn't emit any radiation, quite the contrary.

When I googled for back body once I found there are companies that sell them.
I don't know how buoyant the market fr them is.

kloptok said:
Not really, the "blackest" bodies we know of are probably stars, and they are not really black (the color black, that is). Just because it absorbs all incoming radiation doesn't mean that it doesn't emit any radiation, quite the contrary.

Now that you mention it a black body is supposed to absorb and then re-emit all radiation that falls upon it.

1. What are black body assumptions?

Black body assumptions refer to the simplified models used in physics to describe the behavior of real black bodies, which are objects that absorb all incoming radiation and emit it at the same rate.

2. How are black body assumptions used to derive spectrums?

Black body assumptions are used to derive spectrums by assuming that the black body is in thermal equilibrium and applying the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates the temperature of the black body to its energy emission.

3. What is the importance of exploring black body assumptions in science?

Exploring black body assumptions allows scientists to understand the behavior of real objects in terms of simplified models, which can then be used to make predictions and further our understanding of the physical world.

4. Are there any limitations to using black body assumptions?

Yes, there are limitations to using black body assumptions. Real black bodies may have complex shapes and compositions that cannot be accurately described by the simplified models. Additionally, the assumptions may not hold true in extreme conditions such as high temperatures or pressures.

5. How can scientists improve upon black body assumptions for deriving spectrums?

Scientists can improve upon black body assumptions by incorporating more realistic models and accounting for factors such as surface roughness and non-uniform emission. They can also conduct experiments in controlled environments to validate the assumptions and refine the models.