1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black body balloon in vacuum

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a perfectly spherical balloon with surface painted black. It is placed in a perfect vacuum. It is gently inflated with an ideal mono-atomic gas at Kelvin temperature Ti, slowly enough so that it reaches thermal equilibrium with the gas, and then it is sealed off. It has radius ri at this time and contains N atoms. The vacuum is large, so radiation from its walls can be ignored.

a) Show that T/Ti = (r/ri)3 if the pressure inside the balloon is independent of its radius.

b) How much energy does the balloon radiate per second when it is at radius r? Express your answer in terms of r and constants.

c) What is the rate of change of the internal energy of the gas? Express you answer in terms of r, r', and constants.

2. Relevant equations
    PV = nRT
    dQ/dt = σT4 * (4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I already showed a), so I don't need help with that.
    In part b), I wrote pretty much
    dQ/dt = σT4 * (4pi*r2)
    so that should be the speed of radiation of energy.
    I also have no idea how to do part c), so any help on c) is welcome.

EDIT: For c) I am supposed to get:
    (9NkBTir2r') / (2ri3)
    I am unsure how to get that point.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted