Calculating Spectral Range of Blackbody Radiation Intensity

In summary, the conversation was about finding the spectral range in which a blackbody's intensity is brighter than half of its peak value. The participants discussed equations such as the Planck distribution and Wien's law to help solve the problem. After some trial and error, the person was able to figure out the solution on their own.
kbeach
Hello! I am hoping someone could help.
I have no idea where to start on this, and have been flipping pages for an hour or so trying to figure it out.
Find the spectral range Δλ over which a blackbody's intensity B(1/2) is brighter than half of its peak value B(peak). (In other words, find the difference between the wavelengths where B(1/2) = B(peak)/2)

I have played with the Planck distribution for so long. Am I beating a dead horse? I can't seem to find out what to do with T in the plank distribution, weins law, stefan-bol... Some guidance please!
Thanks!

Planck Distribution B(λ) = [(2hc^2)/(λ^5)][1/(e^((hc)/(λkT))-1)]
Weins Law λ(max)=b/T

λ=wavelength
T=temperature
c=speed of light
h=planck's constant=6.62606957 × 10-34 (m^2 kg) / s
k=boltzmann constant=1.3806488 × 10-23 (m^2 kg)/(s^2 K)
b=wein's displacement constant=2.897768×10^-3 m K

Physics news on Phys.org
I have played with the Planck distribution for so long.
Please show your work then.
We cannot see what you did wrong if you don't do that.

I moved your thread to the homework section, as this is a homework-like question.

Likes 1 person
Hey Sorry I for got to reply! I think i figured it out! Thanks for checking it out!

1. What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation refers to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by an idealized object that absorbs all radiation incident on it. This object is known as a black body, and its radiation is dependent on its temperature, with hotter objects emitting more radiation at shorter wavelengths.

2. What is the significance of black body radiation in science?

Black body radiation is significant in many fields of science, including astrophysics, cosmology, and thermodynamics. It helps us understand the behavior of objects at high temperatures and the properties of light. It has also been used to develop theories such as Planck's law and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

3. How is black body radiation related to the color of objects?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects or absorbs. Black bodies, by definition, absorb all wavelengths of light, which is why they appear black. The temperature of a black body also affects the color of its emitted radiation, with hotter objects appearing bluer and cooler objects appearing redder.

4. Can black body radiation be observed in real life?

Yes, black body radiation can be observed in real life. A common example is the color changes seen in a metal object when it is heated. As the temperature increases, the object emits more radiation, and the color shifts from red to orange to yellow to white as it reaches higher temperatures.

5. How does black body radiation contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Black body radiation has played a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It has helped us determine the age of the universe, study the properties of stars and galaxies, and even discover new types of radiation, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation. It continues to be a valuable tool in studying the origins and evolution of our universe.